Meteor cylinder defect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screaming Stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Replaced a Stihl ms362 cylinder and piston with a Meteor kit. Attempted to do a pressure test which showed I had a good leak somewhere, checked the crank seals but they were good. Couldn’t find the leak but remember reading a comment about putting the saw in a bucket of water. Voila! Bubbles coming right out of the side of a new cylinder! You can see the hole directly above the “e”. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Attachments

• C07FAF01-0028-4595-BCB5-DF479FF05698.jpeg
    C07FAF01-0028-4595-BCB5-DF479FF05698.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
The disappointing part is that the cylinder was ported and band cut for squish. Not sure if they will say it’s “modified”.
What’s the consensus on using JB weld on that? That goes through to the transfer port? Drill and tap for a plug, weld it or JB? I figure I’ll hear back from Meteor this week.

The disappointing part is that the cylinder was ported and band cut for squish. Not sure if they will say it’s “modified”.
What’s the consensus on using JB weld on that? That goes through to the transfer port? Drill and tap for a plug, weld it or JB? I figure I’ll hear back from Meteor this week.

Yeah, na, that changes things up- I would suggest if it has been ground on- you own it.

Yeah, na, that changes things up- I would suggest if it has been ground on- you own it.
Yep I think so too. Where hole comes out in the transfer port I'd say any of those fixes would work. Welding would be best if not overdone. JB would be fine as well just have get the area inside and out as clean as possible. Drill and tap wold work OK too........just more parts to keep tight.

Latest posts

Back