new milling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piney1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for everyone. I want to set up a chainsaw mill to mill some ponderosa pine and all I want to be able to do is cut slabs because I have another method for edging. The logs will be around 20" diameter. I need to buy a bar and chain and some sort of mill attachment. I have read here a lot and thing I will probably go with the alaskan mill, unless someone steers me another direction. If you had to chose between these three saws for milling what one would you pick. 440 stihl, 038 stihl or 372 husky.

I have some questions for everyone. I want to set up a chainsaw mill to mill some ponderosa pine and all I want to be able to do is cut slabs because I have another method for edging. The logs will be around 20" diameter. I need to buy a bar and chain and some sort of mill attachment. I have read here a lot and thing I will probably go with the alaskan mill, unless someone steers me another direction. If you had to chose between these three saws for milling what one would you pick. 440 stihl, 038 stihl or 372 husky.

You can go to Baileys and get everything on your wish list mentioned in your post including the 372 if you decide to go with the Husky. As far as saws go I would go with the 372 or the 440 which are very comparable saws. The Alaskan will do you just fine for what you are wanting to do, and it is more readily available than a GB mill from what I gather from other members here. I would go with atleast the 36 inch Alaskan just incase you ever get a chance to snag a log bigger that the pines that you are gonna mill up, as they can always be adjusted down but not up. Good luck and happy milling.

Alaskan MK 3

FYI, HF has the 36" Alaskan on special for $149.99 (with a $10 gift card back to you as well), and a timberjack at $39.99. I got my Alaskan from them and am happy. Have not received my timberjack as of yet. Good luck!

You might also check out the Logosol Timberjig:

http://www.logosol.com

That is what I started with and was very happy with it. I upgraded to the Logosol Woodworkers Mill about 1 year later.

Be sure to use low profile ripping chain - it makes a big difference in the cutting speed, particularly with a smaller saw.

Ted

Has anyone used both the timberjig and alaskan? the timberjig looks like a nice unit for about the same price.
I already own the three saws I listed in my first post so since I already have them which one would be best for milling.
Thanks for the advice

Piney1, I don't know which is better of the TimberJig or the Alaskan. What I do know is you can cut a larger log with the TimberJig simply because of the way you set it up and the fact the end of the bar isn't bolted down. On the 36" Alaskan they were talking about you lose about 3" because of this. That means by making two cuts with the TimberJig, you can cut twice the size log with the same bar. On the saw, I have no clue which would be better for milling. I would guess in your case the Stihl because you have two of them. Maybe the bars will fit either one. What part of SD are you in? I got a daughter that lives in Avon.

Rodney

The main advantage to the Alaskan is gonna be portability. It can be carried to the log with the saw attached, in one hand. Attach your guide rail for the first cut and your milling. Its also quite a bit cheaper than the Logosol. I have nothing bad to say about the Logosol because Im sure that its a fine mill, I just dont see it being as portable as the Alaskan. Another option is gonna be a Ripsaw which is also very portable and has a much narrower kerf.:cheers:

Allthough I have a TimberJig setting right here that I hardly ever use, I went to the web sites to make sure. The TimberJig mounts to the saw (any saw) and costs $165. Someone up above said the Alaskan was on sale at HF right now for $149. That sounds about right. Then I went over and checked the RipSaw. It was only $1689.00. Of course it had the guide bar with it. If you buy the guide bar with the TimberJig it runs $200 more. Most people just build one. For some reason, we go through this just about ever time the Logosol comes up.

Rodney

Last edited:
Allthough I have a TimberJig setting right here that I hardly ever use, I went to the web sites to make sure. The TimberJig mounts to the saw (any saw) and costs $165. Someone up above said the Alaskan was on sale at HF right now for $149. That sounds about right. Then I went over and checked the RipSaw. It was only $1689.00. Of course it had the guide bar with it. If you buy the guide bar with the TimberJig it runs $200 more. Most people just build one. For some reason, we go through this just about ever time the Logosol comes up.

Rodney

I stand corrected . I was comparing the Alaskan to the Woodworkers mill by Logosol. The Timberjig is in fact very comparable to the portabillity of the Alaskan.:cheers:

Here is the Logosol TimberJig:
bigmill_timberjig_06.jpg

It has the same portability as the Alaskan.

Regards,

Ted

I have rarely hauled my mill very far - you have to haul the boards back out. I have found the Woodworkers Mill to be portable enough:

wwm_chainsaw.jpg

I can haul it in the back of my pickup and lift it out myself - it weighs only 85 lbs. It takes only about 10 minutes to setup. The biggest advantages of this mill are:

1. Cut while standing up - not bending over
2. You advance the saw through the wood with a crank - no pushing
3. No guide rails or brackets need to be fastened to the log
4. Easily cuts short logs, which would move around with a handheld mill

I agree that the investment of the Alaskan/Timberjig can't be beat, and it is the most compact. However, the ease of use of the Woodworkers Mill justified the investment. This will become truer as I get older and older (just hurt my knee last week playing basketball).

Regards,

Ted

Last edited:
I have rarely hauled my mill very far - you have to haul the boards back out. I have found the Woodworkers Mill to be portable enough:

wwm_chainsaw.jpg

I can haul it in the back of my pickup and lift it out myself - it weighs only 85 lbs. It takes only about 10 minutes to setup. The biggest advantages of this mill are:

1. Cut while standing up - not bending over
2. You advance the saw through the wood with a crank - no pushing
3. No guide rails or brackets need to be fastened to the log
4. Easily cuts short logs, which would move around with a handheld mill

I agree that the investment of the Alaskan/Timberjig can't be beat, and it is the most compact. However, the ease of use of the Woodworkers Mill justified the investment. This will become truer as I get older and older (just hurt my knee last week playing basketball).

Regards,

Ted

Interesting... I was surprised that the WW Mill is only 85 lbs, I thought it would be more than that. Gosh... I think even I could still lift 85 lbs ;) Also, I concur with the "This will become truer as I get older and older" remark. I used to slice up logs with my alaskan/Ripsaw mills where they lay, meaning those bottom cuts I was leaning over or down on my knees, but as I get older the back and especially the knees won't let me do that any more, so I get the log up onto horses... BIG difference.

Piney 1 if you want some lively discussion re: types of mills, just do a search on Ripsaw or Logosol... you will be rewarded :cheers: :cheers: Bottom line is there are pros and cons to all milling systems. You have to figure out what you want your mill to do, how often(how much volume), and how portable you want to be given the truck or van or lack thereof. The size of your wallet is probably one of the biggest factors of course.

Back