New Oregon Electric Rivet Spinner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody seen or tried this new Oregon electric rivet spinner (# 552225)?

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/CompactElectricRivetSpinner_A107470_AA_low-res.pdf

OREGON brand Bench Model Rivet Spinner

I saw it on a catalog page, but not in person. Reminds me of something that TreeMonkey's Dad engineered:

(see post #1227 in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189281-82.htm ).

This one looks to list at around $800 (?), which is about half of what their pedal operated spinner goes for:

OREGON brand Power Rivet Spinner

What I think is the most interesting is the use of roller anvils instead of cup shaped anvils to shape the head. Wonder if these would work in a drill press?

Philbert

I had a Tecomec branded one of these on loan from Jakmax at a very good (clearance) price which they were hoping I would buy.
It went back.
Seriously they are a complete waste of time even though they really sound and look like a good idea. Their finish is OK but from my point of view they were actually slower to setup than a manual spinner. Interestingly even Jakmax were hand spinning loops for a 10,000 odd chain Kennard's Hire contract they won (Kennard's is probably Australia's largest hire company). Their 240v Tecomec spinner was sitting on a neighbouring bench with a rag over it.
In fact from memory Jakmax had 4 of them in stock and are still trying to get rid of them 3 odd years later.

I see them going on Ebay real cheap, but have never tried one. I can't imagine they are any easier or faster than a manual rivet spinner. If you're doing a bunch of chains you get pretty quick spinning rivets. I don't know what the record is, but I can probably do 5 or 6 in a couple minutes without being in any real hurry. If they are any faster, you'd have to be a full time chain maker for it to add up to anything appreciable.

A silvey raker grinder on the other hand.... Now there's something you could use!

Shaun

Wow! Really surprised. As I said, I never used one, but I have seen the older style foot pedal version in use at Madsen's, and the Kunz version (referenced above). I had high expectations for the roller anvil, and for the hand wheel, but I have always found your opinions straight and spot-on MCW.

You may have just helped me shave $ off my wish list. Or maybe I will have to find one of those on-line deals that imagineero is talking about!

Anybody else try/use one?

Philbert

I had a Tecomec branded one of these on loan from Jakmax at a very good (clearance) price which they were hoping I would buy.
It went back.
Seriously they are a complete waste of time even though they really sound and look like a good idea. Their finish is OK but from my point of view they were actually slower to setup than a manual spinner. Interestingly even Jakmax were hand spinning loops for a 10,000 odd chain Kennard's Hire contract they won (Kennard's is probably Australia's largest hire company). Their 240v Tecomec spinner was sitting on a neighbouring bench with a rag over it.
In fact from memory Jakmax had 4 of them in stock and are still trying to get rid of them 3 odd years later.

Always a straight shooter MCW.
Thanks for your post.

I had high expectations for the roller anvil, and for the hand wheel, but I have always found your opinions straight and spot-on MCW.

Philbert

Always a straight shooter MCW.
Thanks for your post.

Hey no worries about the reply guys. Like you I thought they'd be a great idea. However after trying one I realised that they aren't as beneficial as you'd think and the fact that I have never, ever seen one being used in any of the many chainsaw shops I've visited.
As mentioned the fact that the Australian distributor is still desperately trying to get rid of them many years on shows that they really don't have much of a market. If they were deemed a worthwhile investment every mainstream dealer would have one.

Bump from the past.

Started this thread several years ago, after seeing this rivet spinner in a catalog. Finally had the chance to see one in person today.

Looks much bigger and heavier duty in person; did not take a photo, but the motor, the base casting, the hand wheel, etc. are all substantial. The guy using it estimates the amount of chain he has spun with it in miles. Pretty quick too, compared to manual spinning, and less manual force required.

At $500 it is not for most casual users, but if I had a shop where I was making up lots of loops, it would definitely be something that I would look at.

http://www.tecomec.com/schede/easy_rivet/index.htm
Screen shot 2019-03-13 at 7.08.05 PM.png

Philbert

Latest posts

Back