New OWB owner- some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll look at the tube tonight. I did put more water in yesterday.. about 30 seconds till it spilled out the the back.

I've got about 2 cords of seasoned wood now... so, depending on how cold it is and what else I get delivered (oh how I need a truck), I may have to burn the oak in a couple of months (month?).

Another neighbor is supposed to be dropping off "a lot" of pine, but I think that's fresh cut as well. I may have to pay for a cord of seasoned wood to tide me through. The prev owner said he'd burn anything in there; he tried to give everything 30 days though.

but probably next year as it will still be pretty wet for this burn season ?

Oak seriously takes FOREVER to get dry. Depends on how big you chopped it up to but I know 4" oak in a kiln will take about 4 weeks to get dry, I'm sure you don't have a kiln, so maybe 2 years would be dry....it all depends on how dry you want it too....

Burning green wood in your stove will just decrease your efficiency and increase your creosote, I don't recommend it, but free is free too....

I'll look at the tube tonight. I did put more water in yesterday.. about 30 seconds till it spilled out the the back.

I've got about 2 cords of seasoned wood now... so, depending on how cold it is and what else I get delivered (oh how I need a truck), I may have to burn the oak in a couple of months (month?).

Another neighbor is supposed to be dropping off "a lot" of pine, but I think that's fresh cut as well. I may have to pay for a cord of seasoned wood to tide me through. The prev owner said he'd burn anything in there; he tried to give everything 30 days though.

so after I have burnt green wood - what i do is let the water temp drop to about 140. then fill up the boiler with dry stuff - cardboard or what ever and then let a nice long hot fire rip. this burns most of the results of the green wood off and you are good to go again.

If you are only running the water for 30 secs before it comes out the back - you have more than enough - every month - i run mine for about 4-5 minutes to top off

I have a Taylor also, one other point is to keep your stove clean. Especially the upper flue. I don't burn pine, but I would bet that is can dirty up a stove. If the flue is full of creosote it can really eat up the heat from the wood.
And the damper sticking can be a problem also, so keep it clean too. I keep a painters putty knife at the stove to scrape the junk off of it If it gets really bad I will us a propane torch to burn off the crud.
Keep an eye on your water usage too. That seems like alot of water. Get you a new piece of clear tubing to put in above your thermometer. When you get your stove full and it stops running out the back, scratch a mark or put a piece of tape to mark the full line and you wont have to guess about the level of the water.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Latest posts

Back