New Piston & Ring - Low Compression Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is in regard to a previous post on a Husqvarna 42 Special that I obtained with a scored piston and cylinder. I cleaned up the cylinder with muriatic acid and a Scotch-brite pad. There is some discoloration where scoring was present, but no scratches that I can see or feel. I obtained a new Meteor piston and ring that was specified for a Husqvarna 242. Cylinder pressure after installation was 60 PSI. People who responded to the original post requested measurements for the ring end gap, and squish. I borrowed some measuring tools and came up with the following results: End Gap=0.013, Squish 0.075-0.078. The squish was measured at several points around the cylinder. New piston is same diameter as old piston. I did not have the tools to measure the piston height from the center of the wrist pin. I held the pistons side by side and inserted the wrist pin partially into the holes of both pistons. The piston height appeared the same. The only observable difference between the old and new piston is some depressions around the wrist pin hole on the old piston. Compression release substituted from another saw made no difference in compression readings.

If these measurements are outside acceptable limits can I correct them, or do I need a new cylinder. Thanks

Back