New Planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barney-mcd

Reaction score
Is peat moss a good/acceptable supplement to the original soil dug out for a new planting? I just planted a Japanese Maple and half of the soil I dug out was clay so I supplemented (50%) the original soil with peat moss. The tree had been balled and burlapped and the tree looked like it had been grown in a heavy clay soil (by the looks of the ball). I'm asking about this because I've seen different recommendations on the use of supplements when planting new trees (balled and burlapped types). Also, should I have packed the soil around the root ball and tree as I filled in the hole during planting? I've seen conflicting information on this too.
Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

when planting trees, I use the existing soil. You want the tree roots to keep moving beyond the original planting hole. also you cannot change the drainage in a clay hole by adding peat moss or gravel. If you have poor drainage you need to plant a little high. If you are trying to ammend the soil , you need to excavate a much larger area around where the tree will grow and then add better soil to that area. Also radial trenching may be an option now since you already planted the tree. Dig several trenches that radiate out from the tree in a spoke wheel pattern. Each trench should be about a foot deep and 4 to 6 inches wide. Fill the trenches with organic matter and coarse soil such as a sandy loam. This will help with the drainage and improve the soil for the tree. If you grow the Japanese maple in the clay , you may get root rot from poor drainage and compaction. When I backfill my planting hole, I lightly tamp on the soil without compacting it. Roots need oxygen. ( do not get the heaviest man on your crew to tamp the soil):) john

Back