New (Poulan) Guy on this Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Gregg500
Gregg500
Gregg500
[/IMG]Hello,
Been a member here for some time now, but this is my first post. These forums are quite the source for info and personal experiances with a whole slew of saws, splitters, mills and tools of all kinds. First thing I learned while reading posts for the last few months, is that I`m a minority it seems.:greenchainsaw: I bought a new Poulan 3400 (56cc)saw back in 1985, been using it ever since, alot! It has been a great saw in my opinion. Earlier this summer I decided to get a parts saw, just incase i needed parts for my 23 year old saw. As it turned out, I got a second 3400 that was in good shape except for low compression. I then found a piston and cyl. from a 4000 saw, and rebuilt the 3400 parts saw into a 65cc excellent running saw. I also found two Sears Craftsman 3700 (60cc) saws and made one good one. Again an excellent running saw. I`ll admit that these saws are outdated technology, and a far cry from all these newer Stihl`s and Husky`s, but they do the job just fine. For some of us with not alot of $$, there great saws. I`ll admit too, that I would probably not buy one of the newer Poulan saws, but I won`t bad mouth them, they might work well for some folks that don`t cut alot. Am thinking of buying a Jonsered 2186 (85cc) for use on a mill down the road, if i can come up with money. Would probably use it for cutting till I get a mill. They are little cheaper than equivilent Husky or Stihl. Geez, I`m starting to ramble... Anyway, glade to be on board, and fill a nitch with some help for somebody with the older Poulans, if I can.

Thanks, Gregg Will try to post couple pics, I see everybody does, lol
Gregg500

Hello Greg, welcome aboard! Nice lookin old poulan's you got there. Don't feel lonely, a lot of guys here have those same models. The last of the good Poulans. In fact, I have a Craftsman 3400 and a 3700. Good running saws, just a little heavy by todays standards.

Oh yea, make room for more saws. You will get them, once you start looking they are everywhere.

I love my old Poulans. Have (4) 3400's, (3) 3700(Craftsman) and a 4000 Poulan. Even have a Skil 1641(Poulan 3400). They are simple saws, easy to work on. Have interchangeable parts and manual and auto oilers. I find them very reliable and sturdy. As a friend once told me, stay away from Poulans made after 1988. They aren't the same Poulans.

Not a thing wrong with a poulan from back in the day

They were a well built saw by any ones standards.
welcome to the site.

Welcome and great pic's! I have been trying to get a 306A for the last two years off of a friends dad that has maybe 10 tanks through it. I only have two of the newer Poulans but they haven't let me down. But they lack the cool factor!

Those are great saws you have there, I know several guys that own 3400s and love them!

Thanks for the kind welcome, I don`t feel nearly like the Lone Ranger I thought I was. Good to hear other folks like and use these older Poulans. I feel more would still be using them, if they just took care of them. Its ammazing the condition and lack of service some of these (parts) saws I have recieved. Every one of them still had the original air filter in them, and modified to boot. Now I don`t think the filter design is the best to start with, but one of them somebody drilled holes all over the filter, for better air flow? i guess. lol One had no filter material at all on it, just the bare metal screen and holes drilled through the cover.:dizzy: Even had one with no filter at all, but had some window screening cut and glued to the under side of the cover. I cant imagine the amount of saw dust that gets ingested and then wonder why they dont run good. Fuel lines and filter is another horror story, Yikes! Oh well, if everybody took care of them, there wouldn`t be any cheap no-working parts saws for us. LOL

Take care of them old Poulans, Thanks, Gregg

Welcome to AS!
I have a soft spot for the old Poulans as well. My Dad's first new saw was a 361 which he used for 5 or 6 years until it scored a cylinder and became hard to start. I have a 306A that I got off of my brother in law that he bought new back in the late 70's.

I love my old Poulans. Have (4) 3400's, (3) 3700(Craftsman) and a 4000 Poulan. Even have a Skil 1641(Poulan 3400). They are simple saws, easy to work on. Have interchangeable parts and manual and auto oilers. I find them very reliable and sturdy. As a friend once told me, stay away from Poulans made after 1988. They aren't the same Poulans.

Surely not "the same", but don't forget the PP505 etc.....:)

Welcome Gregg.....Not a darn thing wrong with those old Poulans.....23 years is testament to that!.....:cheers:

Good looking saws.
My partner uses Poulans. Newer ones at that. He had some troubles with them at first.
But now they're doing okay. Sometimes they are hard to start and they never have been fast. But hey he's got 100 dollars in 3 saws, so how are you going to complain?
I think if I had to have a Poulan, I could live with the older ones.

I have a soft spot for the Poulan 2800/ 3000s My first saw was an equivelant Crafstman That I bought for $179 at the Sears scratch and dent. Still have it and its probably going with me to camp this weekend.

Thanks for the kind welcome, I don`t feel nearly like the Lone Ranger I thought I was. Good to hear other folks like and use these older Poulans. I feel more would still be using them, if they just took care of them. Its ammazing the condition and lack of service some of these (parts) saws I have recieved. Every one of them still had the original air filter in them, and modified to boot. Now I don`t think the filter design is the best to start with, but one of them somebody drilled holes all over the filter, for better air flow? i guess. lol One had no filter material at all on it, just the bare metal screen and holes drilled through the cover.:dizzy: Even had one with no filter at all, but had some window screening cut and glued to the under side of the cover. I cant imagine the amount of saw dust that gets ingested and then wonder why they dont run good. Fuel lines and filter is another horror story, Yikes! Oh well, if everybody took care of them, there wouldn`t be any cheap no-working parts saws for us. LOL

Take care of them old Poulans, Thanks, Gregg

if they only knew i always had air filters for the 3400s still do

I have a soft spot for the Poulan 2800/ 3000s My first saw was an equivelant Crafstman That I bought for $179 at the Sears scratch and dent. Still have it and its probably going with me to camp this weekend.

I'll agree with you, that design really has some strengths and was the basis for lots of ensueing saws, like the 3450, 295, etc. Having owned the Husvarna 41 and 141 (saws which I rather like) I'd say they do just as well. They are easy to disrepect if you're used to the pro quality Stihl and Husky saws, but they are far and away better than the Poulans of today. If you like these saws, this is an interesting thread. If you doubted the 36/136/41/141 saws were actually fluffed up Poulans, doubt no more!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=47130&highlight=Poulavarna

Back