New Saw Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infometric

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I started reading the Stihl sales blurbs and reviews, thinking I'd get my son a new saw. There were a surprising number of bad reviews concerning flooding, freezeups, scoring, etc., from people who seemed to be competent users. It's more expensive than I'd hoped, but I started with the MS-391 and saw several bad reviews. There just seem to be some lemons! Things looked better for the 271.

I have an MS-250 and an 029, both of which work well, especially after new carbs (10 yr or more along) and he has a Husky that's lost its chainbrake. So if anyone cares to tell me about new saws to look at, I'd be grateful. The MS-250 is fine, but a little small for big oak trunks (18") we cut for firewood. I love bucking with the 029, but it's heavy for trimming small stuff. I know it isn't loved here, but it has good power for what I do AND runs slow and doesn't scream at me! I'd buy another 029 in a heartbeat!

I don't know what M-Tronic is, but I sure don't want sensors, computers, or any other maintenance heartaches on my chainsaw. I have a decent Stihl dealer/mechanic, but would look at something else if it had the right mix of power and simplicity. I just replaced the bar studs in the MS-250, using advice from here on AS, with apparent success. The 029 studs seem to bite into the crankcase plastic OK. I used red Loctite too.

I should say I had Timber Bear for a while. It was quite powerful, but incredibly LOUD and things kept falling off or breaking, so I know what poor quality is. Funny thing though, it always started well and the comp release was really effective. Without the release, it took really careful technique to overcome the compression without hurting my arm or hand. The Timber Bear, still running perfectly, went to the reuse shed at the landfill!

So let me have it. Who's making a retro saw in the 60 CC range, without silly bells and whistles, at a fair price??

Thanks,
Wilson
North Carolina

Dolmar 6100. It's a Strato saw that needs no retuning or limiter caps pulled to run right. Its bigger/heavier than the Echo's.

The Echo 620 is a good alternative also, but needs work/ tinkering to wake it up. I was tossing a coin between the 2 then found the Dolmar for $90 cheaper. DONE DEAL!!!

If you have a 029, just have a 039/390 cylinder and piston installed. It's a noticeable performance improvement, there are many reasonably priced options and the 390 top end can pull a 3/8" conversion far better than a stock 029/290.
You'll end up with a saw that's just as simple to work with as a 029/290 but with a noticeable performance improvement and you'll save plenty of money.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MS 361 either. It's a pro model 60cc saw that will keep up with the 65cc 391 and have less weight and vibe to boot.

Don't know if your looking for new or used but 361s can be had for under 400 w/ B&C.

The only new saw to get in this category, with a $400 or less price tag is an Echo CS-590. It's simple, well built with a magnesium case. Far better deal and product, than any of the plastic homeowner Stihl or Husqvarna saws. No strato system, no Autotune/Mtronic, just a good basic chainsaw.

The only new saw to get in this category, with a $400 or less price tag is an Echo CS-590. It's simple, well built with a magnesium case. Far better deal and product, than any of the plastic homeowner Stihl or Husqvarna saws. No strato system, no Autotune/Mtronic, just a good basic chainsaw.

Yea good saw but for another $$ Bengi you can get the 6100 that's ready to roll and needs no tinkering. I looked at all 3 of these saws. All are nice and I'll go out on a limb and say all 3 better than the Stihl equal. Lots of good value in this category of saw. I settled for the 6100. So far in the small amount I've run it, I'm impressed.

054.JPG
I'm trying to tell the OP how great this 6100 is but in all honesty I'm more impressed with that little Makita 4300/ Dolmar 421. Everything that has been written about those saws is true and more.

I don't think you can go wrong with an MS 361 either. It's a pro model 60cc saw that will keep up with the 65cc 391 and have less weight and vibe to boot.

Don't know if your looking for new or used but 361s can be had for under 400 w/ B&C.

Agreed - 361 is a nice saw

Latest posts

Back