New Saw Blues and Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question re. chain sharpening angles. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the new Dolly chain does not cut very well, so I decided to sharpen it. I rummaged around and found my very old, Oregon, clamp-on chain sharpening jig.

It appears that the factory chain has a top plate angle of 25 deg. and a downward angle of 10 deg. (don't know what this is called). I can't find this in the literature anywhere, but the jig matched up with the guide marks on the chain.

Does this sound right ?

Are you talking about the pos safety chain that comes with the saw all saws come with safety chain. Go and get some good stuff and unleash the beast! :chainsaw:

Yep, that's what the saw came with so no amount of sharpening will ever have it cutting like it should.

I bought a Stihl RS chain today, and it even looks serious:)

We'll go out when it quits raining and do some time trials through a chunk of wood comparing the OEM Dolmar chain against the new one.

Are you talking about the pos safety chain that comes with the saw all saws come with safety chain. Go and get some good stuff and unleash the beast! :chainsaw:

Must be your dealer, my 7900 came with full chisel.

I would still take the saw back and have "them" remove that stuck plug to make sure the threads aren't stretched.

Vinifirewood said:

I would still take the saw back and have "them" remove that stuck plug to make sure the threads aren't stretched.

Yep, did that, and it appears the threads are OK. I got the saw and a spare chain. Both were Dolmar chains that have the anti-kickback design. I specifically told the dealer I wanted a real chain and none of that so-called safety nonsense. I honestly don't think he even knows the difference.:mad:

Of course, I used the chain that came on the saw since I couldn't wait to try it out, but the spare chain is untouched. It'll be returned (probably with a fight) as soon as I get in the neighborhood of the shop, which is about 30 miles from home. In my haste to get back home with the new saw, I didn't pay any attention to the chain before leaving. My bad:eek:

I think the Stihl chain will unleash the beast:clap:

Vinifirewood said:

Yep, did that, and it appears the threads are OK. I got the saw and a spare chain. Both were Dolmar chains that have the anti-kickback design. I specifically told the dealer I wanted a real chain and none of that so-called safety nonsense. I honestly don't think he even knows the difference.:mad:

Of course, I used the chain that came on the saw since I couldn't wait to try it out, but the spare chain is untouched. It'll be returned (probably with a fight) as soon as I get in the neighborhood of the shop, which is about 30 miles from home. In my haste to get back home with the new saw, I didn't pay any attention to the chain before leaving. My bad:eek:

I think the Stihl chain will unleash the beast:clap:
I find it helps to be very specific as to what chain you want, and be able to Identify that you have what you are asking for.

Oregon Chains have been the best for me.

Question re. chain sharpening angles. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the new Dolly chain does not cut very well, so I decided to sharpen it. I rummaged around and found my very old, Oregon, clamp-on chain sharpening jig.

It appears that the factory chain has a top plate angle of 25 deg. and a downward angle of 10 deg. (don't know what this is called). I can't find this in the literature anywhere, but the jig matched up with the guide marks on the chain.

Does this sound right ?

Exactly right. 25 and 10.

Geoff.

:cheers:

The box says "33RS" and the top plate angle does look greater than the other chains. So the file should be level relative to the chain for no downward angle ?

CC,
i assume you got stihl RSC (chisel). if so, be aware that it sharpens at 30° and 0°. you're gonna love that saw with that chain.

love this chain,cuts anything, i also find it does stay sharp for quite a lot of cuts , then takes just a mild touchup to be back in the game again.

As to your little Homelite XL,check the kill switch.Those little saws are tough to wear out,but the switches do conk out after thirty years or so.

Clinch, sounds like you have had all the troubles that I had. I had never heard of safety chain myself, and I've cut wood for well over 30 years. I bought a small refurb Poulan on ebay several years ago. Saw ran fine, but it wouldn't cut warm milk. That's how I found this site, trying to figure out why it wouldn't cut. I think it was Gary who mentioned safety chain. Anyway I took it to the shop and ground off the safety bars and it cuts like a demon. From this site I liked the reputation of the Makita/Dolmar 6401 and bought one on ebay for $160. It was rough looking but ran like a champ. Had a hell of a time starting it until I figured out that I had the switch off. Very counter intuitive in my opinion also. I had also never had a saw with a chain brake. I figured that one out in time DUH. Mine usually starts pretty easy, choke pull once, off choke and varoom. I have had problems warm starting, but found about 3 pulls, no choke and it's good to go. Also Stihl RCS is the best chain I've found. Also get the Northern chain grinder for $100 bucks or so. I got mine about 2 years ago and replaced the grinding wheel with one from Balieys , and have been very satisfied. Don't worry, we're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice. JR

Latest posts

Back