New saw vs older used saw for chainsaw mill in Pacific North West

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been out of the milling world for a few years and want to get back into it. I sold all my mill stuff at the time, bandmill and alaskan mill, including saws and big tractor (had to move and didn't really have the space to keep it). My alaskan mills were powered by a 372xpg and a 395xp. Both great saws and the 372 was a favourite of mine for wood in the 12-18" range, but would cut 20" Douglas Fir without complaint, just a little slower. Both were bought used but from a local saw rebuilder, so they had new top ends and whatnot, but he is no longer in business.

My options now appear to be to get a 288, 394/5, 372, in the $600 range, well used but still running fine, and I likely will have to put a new bar on it still for milling. Or, I'm starting to wonder if I should blow the budget and buy a new saw so I know where its been. I have a 353 and its a great saw for bucking and handling firewood, etc. This new saw will mostly be for milling. A new top end and oiler would suddenly put me pretty close to the price of a new saw if I bought something that came apart on me. That said, I'm pretty budget conscious.

hi, from next door. got a 394 id sell. if nothing else, like meetin other members.

my $.02 on new. 570[at] came here, roached, was millin. small, imo, but curious if at can keep up w/something workin harder than it should. left here w/china 576 top couple mo ago. no news is good news... heard a mo ago it was still kickin.

I can hook you up with my best friend of 41 Yrs. He had a saw shop in New West Minister for 15 years but is in Mission now. I will be over in a couple of days picking a 372 & working on another. He be the guy to know on the mainland. He Has four 088 at least. 394, 395, 660 He will pressure test and dose a lot of ground ups too. Very reasonable honest GOOD dude.

Yeah...The crooked blade......hello.. hello ..... ...guys. Lol

Joking of course

He is private now a days and staying busy. I can give you guys his # way of PM. He used to bundle cut under the bridge in Surrey on the side. I did it sometimes when I was over there. 72" bar with a tail handle.
He would use the 3120's ported but the bottoms wouldn't last so he use the 090 mainly or 088

You could shop in the Trading Post on this site and get a rebuilt and ported saw from a reputable builder for around $600. Shipping would probably be a good chunk of change though.

Back