New SS HD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an email today. It on the way! If the tracking is correct, it should be here on Monday.

That was pretty fast!

What is the tracking #? I will go online and change the delivery address to mine so I can give it a test run for you :) It is too cold up there to be splitting wood anyway...

It's here! Picked it up this morning. Got it put together and tryed it out. It's pretty awesome. I've watched the videos but it's still surprisingly fast.

Everything is top notch on it. It didn't look like they skimped on anything. Which is probably why supersplitters seem to last, and the knockoffs keep failing.

I had a piece of cottonwood laying around so I thought I'd try that. This stuff is really stringy and really a pain to split. It blasted right through with no problems.

The temperature is going to drop again tomorrow until the weekend, so I don't know if I'll be able to really run it.

Looks good so far!

I'll update after really putting it though the paces20150216_104921.jpg20150216_152456.jpg20150216_171040.jpg

Sweet rig, nice engine choice. Any questions on it just ask, plenty of experienced SS users on here with good info.

Thanks guys.
They had me going for a second. I opened up the big box and saw a Subaru engine box inside. I was pissed at first. I paid extra for the Honda.
Turns out they just put the Honda in the Subaru box for some reason.

That Honda started on the second pull!
Can't beat that.

Thanks guys.
They had me going for a second. I opened up the big box and saw a Subaru engine box inside. I was pissed at first. I paid extra for the Honda.
Turns out they just put the Honda in the Subaru box for some reason.

That Honda started on the second pull!
Can't beat that.

I just got the Subaru on mine. It starts easy every time and burns hardly any fuel! My famous words used to be "Just going out and split for a tank of gas", until I got this. Now I say a time amount, because I run out of gas before it will!

I just got the Subaru on mine. It starts easy every time and burns hardly any fuel! My famous words used to be "Just going out and split for a tank of gas", until I got this. Now I say a time amount, because I run out of gas before it will!

now theres a good comparison video...who puts more splits on the deck per gallon ?? TW-6 or SS side by side.....
used to matter when gas was $3.50 a gallon...at $2.00 nobody gives a poopy anymore...

truff is they are both about a "days worth" of work in a tank.
SS is 3/4 of a gallon
TW is about 5 gallons

per day...after that I hit the shower and TV !!!

Welcome to the club! You are going to like using that machine. I also have the Subaru, and agree, it uses very little fuel for splitting. It starts either 1st or 2nd pull for me every time.
If you are splitting bigger rounds, watch some of the videos Paul has on youtube. The way he handles the rounds makes for less work for you. Looking forward to your pics in action!

Also welcome to the club! Make sure to turn off the fuel when done. They have a habit of filling the crank case with fuel when sitting. I thought I over filled the motor with oil until I realized fuel was seeping down because of the fuel tank being on top.

The temp is supposed to be up, so we're going to give it a good workout tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned!

Can someone please explain why the honda option is more than the subaru? I've the latter and that thing just keeps on keeping on.

I think it's a rip off too. They said the only difference is the Honda has a low oil shut down.

I paid extra only because every Honda I've ever seen runs forever.

If you think about it though, I could've got the Subaru, saved the money, and if the Subaru ever died, put a harbor freight chonda on it and still been money ahead.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to split a little extra to pay for the "upgrade".

I don't think the honda is a rip-off, rather the suby robin is better value for an extremely good wee engine. Like you said, the price difference could buy a few oil /filter changes, some spare belts, etc and still have change. If buying another SS tomorrow, I'd choose the suby again without hesitation.

I got the Honda because I thought it would be quieter. It is a little quieter but not by much. I think it was Sun Fish that had the SS with Subaru motor at one of the charity cuts. Split lots of wood that day with two SS plus and two hydros. But with that much equipment running it didn't matter.

We got to run the TW6 and the SS in tandem today. All I can say is wow! It kept both of us running, and I mean running! We split mostly oak. It blasted right threw like nothing. There was a few pieces of elm mixed in. Some it shot threw, some needed a second hit. Still very fast.

Both of us are very impressed! It definitely exceeds our expectations.

We're going to add a hitch, and lift it up a few inches. I'm 6'3" and he's 6'1". I felt like I was hunched over a lot. Other then that, this thing is prime.

The pile is after an hour.20150221_130328.jpg

Back