New Stihl MS 260 Pro Chainsaw Powerhead Only .325 Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That statement is very true but the 026/260 has such a nice feel to it in the woods. I have a 026 that is ported etc. It will run like a scalded dog. But it is no match for either 346XP or 545 or 550XP Husqvarna in the power department. But I stihl like my 026.

I always liked the 026 as well - but the US version of the MS260 is not as good (demoted on power to appeace the EPA).

If the ad is about a saw built with Euro spec top end and muffler, it should perform like an 026 though.

The Canadian version of Pro saws were/are built in Europe.
My original 1989 026 was built in West Germany.
In 2001 and 2012 I bought the MS260 Pro which are made in Germany.
Then in 2013 the MS261 even my new 2014 MS261-CM is German.
The only saws that we get that are built in the USA are homeowner ones.

I had some money to piss away and ive always wanted a 260 or 026 so i nabbed it. Im gonna pull all the covers off and check it out real well. Ill report back when i get it. Ive got an 090, 880, two 660's and a 460, in my stihl lineup, it'll be nice to have the lighter saw for cuttin firewood and such.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Those two saws went for $565 and $665 USD. Way overpriced to my way of thinking but hey, as long as their purchasers are happy...

$665 for the one with three bars and 9 chains. Way too much but i have a pretty big equipment budget and it is essentially a brand new 260 provided the guy is honest. Can't be too many NOS ms260's around. I'm gonna tear it down short of pulling the top end to verify that it's built from stihl parts. I'll also vacuum test it and compression test it. I'll report back.

Nice! Thanks for putting yourself out there for the board's curiosity.

$665 for the one with three bars and 9 chains. Way too much but i have a pretty big equipment budget and it is essentially a brand new 260 provided the guy is honest. Can't be too many NOS ms260's around. I'm gonna tear it down short of pulling the top end to verify that it's built from stihl parts. I'll also vacuum test it and compression test it. I'll report back.

Is it worth it to pay almost new prices and then tear it down and do all that work? Wouldn't it be easier to go buy a 261? Or do you like the 260 that much better?

I started out with the original 026 back in 1989 and loved it, but when the MS 260 came out in 2001 it was my new favorite saw.
Now having both a 2012 MS 260 and a 2013 MS 261, my new favorite is the 261. Can't wait to get my new MS 261 cm broke in and find another to mod out.

I honestly just like the older stihl saws better and I was curious about the thing lol and "all that work" is a six pack and a couple hours tinkering...i'll probably muff mod it and such anyway so why not.

Latest posts

Back