New to climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460magnumMOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm 23 and have been felling trees since I was 15, for fire wood, and also working with a logger select cutting. I got a sudden interest in climbing and decided to buy some gear. I talked to a few guys I know about some quality gear that was a good starting point. So now I have all my gear and have been spending this sunny weekend trying it out. I have always been more of a self teacher, so I've been climbing on some old red oaks that will be coming down soon anyways. But it seems I have an issue with heights. Anyone else have thus problem when first starting, and did you get over it with more practice. I don't plan to stop just because of this issue. Mind you I am NOT climbing with a saw yet. That would be stupid.

I had the same feelings my first couple climbs as well. Once you've been up and down a few times you'll start to trust your gear and yourself a little more... I just stayed low to start, gradually going higher and higher as the comfort grew. What kind of gear are you using, and what climbing system, knots, etc..? Throw up some pics if you can, keep at er' and stay safe!

I think just about everyone can relate to the fear of heights feeling, My paws still shake every now & then!!!! I was always told when you have no fear your gonna get burned!!

I think the longer you do it you get more comfortable...But always need to be aware!! Its putting the thoughts you have aside & focusing on the work that needs done, easy to say but hard to do!!

I can remember climbing & waiting when I was an apprentice to be told how to do something....while waiting thoughts would run through my mind, will the rope hold, will the snap break, will I fall, etc... I shared these thoughts one day with my crew leader, his reply; Dam kid your scaring me!!

It will pass in time, just be safe & have someone with you when practicing!!!

Good luck & Be carefull

LXT...............

Congrats on giving climbing a try. I agree pictures would be nice, if you are doing something way out of whack you should be scared. If not, give it time and do it often. Use your own gear when you get it, and learn it inside and out, keep your ears open when talking to people that know their sh1t, one little tip could save you.

Heights never bothered me, as long as what I am working in has the strength, nothing like being way up on a small dead branch, or rigging big stuff from a tall canopy. Its a risk thing, higher=riskier in those situations.

I would say the cure to your fear will be knowledge. People say "how can you hang from that rope?", you say breaking strength is 6,000lbs, nothing to be scared about. That's why I say know your gear. Also learn to be a good judge of a tree's, or section of a tree's structural integrity. Tree work is all calculated risk, if you don't know your gear or the tree, you can't calculate thus making things scarier to you than they probably are. Also know your physical limitations if you aren't in tip top shape or capable then get out of the tree. In short the components are you, your gear, and the tree. Learn it.

Knowledge goes a long ways, but you still need balls if you want to be a "go to" climber. Anyone can call shots from the ground.

Climbing is nothing like felling trees, but if you can fall trees accurately that is a skill you can take in the tree with you. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if you do get that saw in the tree, make sure there is somebody around with experience, cause it aint the same game as logging, you can run from danger when dropping trees, where are you gonna run to in the tree. You can't get sloppy up there with cuts and I mean that with the utmost seriousness.

Last edited:
Fear is natural until you develope trust. I have always said that fear is respect taken beyond the comfort zone. Anyone who climbs without concern is a dangerous risk to the whole team. Gravity is one law that is tough to break!

About a year and half ago I started to climb. I didn't care for heights at all then and I would say 20' was my o #### level. It just kinda went away a little with every climb. This site and others like it are a very good resource. I'm self taught and would not be anywhere close to where I'm at if it wasn't for this site. Watching Ekkas videos over on the video forum really helped me out. Climbing without spikes has also helped me to progress fast I think. It will make you a lot more comfortable in the canopy faster then spikes. If you can find some trees to deadwood I would get a Sugoi and go to town. Practice getting a good high tip and move out as far as you can on every limb. Some of my first trims took me 4-6 hours, but the experience was great. Push yourself to do a good job and everything will start to click.

Its suppose to be crappy weather wise around here for the rest of the week, but if the weather permits this weekend I will try to get some pics. I just went to Baileys and got a petzl rope climbing kit that came with the navaho sit fast harness and top croll, foot ascender and right hand ascender, rescue 8 descender, a couple carabiner, and the Tree Climbers Companion book. I also got a set of Climb Right aluminum climbers with T-pads, and 1/2"x8' lanyard. Figuring that carabiners are like screw drivers, you can't have too many. Also a 7/16"x150' climbing line and a 1/2"x150' line. The tree I was climbing was a very straight red oak with a good thick crotch about 35' up, and 2 more beefy crotches 10-15' after that. There are also many dead limbs above that missing bark and the whole deal. I broke out the throw line and set my 7/16" line over one of the second set of crotches, attaching it then to the tree's base. Tried out the ascenders and worked my way up to the top of the line...slowly. Then repelled my way down, that was the fun part. Then strapped on the spikes and lanyard and gave that a whirl. I kept the line in the tree and used it for a safety with a prusik attached to my harness. Stopped at about 20' for a couple minutes to get my legs to settle down a bit. Each time I went up it felt a little more comfortable. I guess its getting to trust your equipment. I hear what your saying about not making sloppy cuts in the trees. it sure is alot easier to get away from the tree if something goes wrong. Even on the ground I make calculated careful cuts, bore cut, and wedge, so I hope that will help me aloft when that time comes. Its nice to know I'm not alone with the beginners height issue. Look forward to anymore advise you guys may have for me.:greenchainsaw:

Everyone here has given you great advice thus far. Listen to them. I just started climbing myself not too long ago and these guys here gave me great advice. Thats why im still alive. Just stay low and go slow like they say. I had previous experiance climbing cell phone towers wich helped me with the heights. But i still get a little nervous when topping a tree and the trunk gets to moving around. But in time your fear will slowly ease up. But remember fear is what keeps you safe. When you lose fear you get careless and often too brave for your own good.

Good luck to ya and welcome to AR. Keep us posted on what your doing and how you like it

Grem

I've had a bit of a audience on the couple climbs:popcorn: My mother who has been an EMT for over 10 years, and always has her gear ready for anything. And my girlfriend who spends the time asking me why I'm doing something so foolish. If she only understood.

:rock: :rockn: :rock: :rockn: :rockn: :rock: :rockn:

rock on, but be safe. the fear is normal. i'm afraid 'cause i'm no longer afraid. that's when bad things happen.

let us know how it goes,
kevin

Latest posts

Back