New to Me Stihl MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfopete

Suffer Fools; Gladly!
Reaction score
To replace my 25+ year old O26. Just bought it new and have not even started it yet. Seemed from what I read it was a pretty good saw. Wanted to stay away from the M-Tronic stuff for now.

So folks with this saw what should I be aware of good, bad or ugly?

Thanks

I have one, if you go by the directions is starts good. I did have to replace the coil and they are not cheap. Do not store gas in it (startup and run dry). A little heavy, but for a 64cc saw not bad, they are overpriced also IMO, but still a good saw. You did good.

OuFSajy.jpg

Kinda wanted a pro but for a little as I use it I couldn't justify the additional $150.

Does fuel stabilizier help with the stale gas/no start issue?

Kinda wanted a pro but for a little as I use it I couldn't justify the additional $150.

With all the trouble getting REAL non-ethanol fuel I think I'll just pick up some VP race or AV fuel.

I like my 026 better than my 391. Being an old guy I dont like the weight of the 391 and I only use it for bucking larger logs. Did your 026 die or are you just trying to upgrade?

I really like storing with canned fuel in 2 strokes. Trufuel, Stihl MotoMix, VP. They have long shelf life. They have synthetic oil and stabilizer built in. To store or if unsure when next use, dump out pump gas (I dump it my truck), add Trufuel etc run saw to get it through the carb. I don't run it dry with canned fuel. It is expensive at 5 to 6 bucks a quart so mix up pump gas when cutting.
Snowblower started first pull.
Trufuel has 4 stroke also. I use it storing mowers, wood splitter etc.

This works great for me. Have not had any carb or fuel problems all. Many just run dry.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I really like storing with canned fuel in 2 strokes. Trufuel, Stihl MotoMix, VP. They have long shelf life. They have synthetic oil and stabilizer built in. To store or if unsure when next use, dump out pump gas (I dump it my truck), add Trufuel etc run saw to get it through the carb. I don't run it dry with canned fuel. It is expensive at 5 to 6 bucks a quart so mix up pump gas when cutting.
Snowblower started first pull.
Trufuel has 4 stroke also. I use it storing mowers, wood splitter etc.

This works great for me. Have not had any carb or fuel problems all. Many just run dry.

The canned fuels have a very different smell from gasoline .

The o26 just needs some TLC in the fuel/carb department. The o26 is agreat saw but I also have some good size trees that will need to be cut up and a bigger saw will make that job much EZer. Plus I'm a vet so I bought the 391 as a present for myself on Veterans Day.

With all the trouble getting REAL non-ethanol fuel I think I'll just pick up some VP race or AV fuel.

I use 93 octane gas, from Mobile. Starts good, runs cool, ect. Aviation fuel is maybe to high of an octane for the saw. use to be about 101

Latest posts

Back