New to me wood burner, few questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaps

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time since last post. Recently moved to Western New York, forgot how cold it is here compared to Southern California...! I'll just dig right in... I have a detached garage that needs heat, I found this wood burner on craigslist for $300.00. It's made in Canada by Haugh's Products Limited. I think they sold the business and has changed hands a few more times over the last 20 years. It's probably not up to code, but it will have to do for now.

I tore it apart, cleaned it, pounded it back into shape and welded in a few cross braces for the top and bottom. Also welded a lift hook on top of it and replaced the door rope on both doors. Had one fire in it so far and it works great, heated the 2 1/2 car garage up in 30 minutes.

The 2 main air blowers work fine, they turn on and off as they should, but the small middle blower(feeds the fire box fresh air) does not come on at all. I hotwired it before I had the first fire and it spun very slowly and was not moving very much air at all. The bearings in it are fine, it spins freely. It did not cycle on and off at all. I'm curious as to what tells it when to come on and at what RPM? Should I have a remotely mounted thermostat in the garage somewhere? I ended up opening the ash door to feed the fire fresh air and it worked good, if I closed the ash door, the fire would go out.

I could not find any wiring info on these stoves threw a long Google search. Any help here would be great, thanks ahead of time. 0009.jpg 0004.jpg 0012.jpg 0011.jpg

Attachments

• 0013.jpg
    0013.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 8
f4.jpg 7776.jpg f3.jpg f2.jpg f1.jpg f1.jpg 7771.jpg 0013.jpg
Hi all, long time since last post. Recently moved to Western New York, forgot how cold it is here compared to Southern California...! I'll just dig right in... I have a detached garage that needs heat, I found this wood burner on craigslist for $300.00. It's made in Canada by Haugh's Products Limited. I think they sold the business and has changed hands a few more times over the last 20 years. It's probably not up to code, but it will have to do for now.

I tore it apart, cleaned it, pounded it back into shape and welded in a few cross braces for the top and bottom. Also welded a lift hook on top of it and replaced the door rope on both doors. Had one fire in it so far and it works great, heated the 2 1/2 car garage up in 30 minutes.

The 2 main air blowers work fine, they turn on and off as they should, but the small middle blower(feeds the fire box fresh air) does not come on at all. I hotwired it before I had the first fire and it spun very slowly and was not moving very much air at all. The bearings in it are fine, it spins freely. It did not cycle on and off at all. I'm curious as to what tells it when to come on and at what RPM? Should I have a remotely mounted thermostat in the garage somewhere? I ended up opening the ash door to feed the fire fresh air and it worked good, if I closed the ash door, the fire would go out.

I could not find any wiring info on these stoves threw a long Google search. Any help here would be great, thanks ahead of time. View attachment 559787 View attachment 559788 View attachment 559789 View attachment 559790
0013.jpg 0013.jpg 7771.jpg 0013.jpg 7771.jpg f1.jpg

Back