New to milling, thanks to one of you bums!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've had semotony out here a couple times to mill or retrieve logs, and as a gift he gave me a mill attachment for my saw. Darn him! I always wanted to get into that, but I have no time!

So I finally obtained a log to mill, and then got another. Now I have two logs completely milled, and 4 more waiting. Darn you, semotony! I'm having so much fun, and dreaming about all the possibilities, and now I'm spending lots of time (and money) on this new hobby. Wow, it's addicting.

Fortunately my neighbor complained about the noise, so I put the log on my trailer, wheeled it into my shop/garage, sealed off most of the stuff, and was able to do it in the almost closed shop. Put a couple fans in the doorway, and left the big door cracked a bit. Opened everything up again after every slab and took a break. All went well, and the neighbor thinks I'm fantastic now.

Anyway, enough talk and onto the pics.

This piece of walkboard worked really well - I could screw through the holes in the aluminum to fasten it to the log.
This is the oak I milled.
IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2844.JPG IMG_2845.JPG IMG_2846.JPG

And here is the pecan.
IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3004.JPG IMG_3006.JPG

I got about 6 big trash cans full of sawdust. I have a tiny little 'tree farm' where I have a few trees, so this dust is going on top of the weed barrier fabric to control the weeds.

Got lots of good tips from semotony, trains, and a youtube channel called Flowering Elbow. Very enjoyable videos from him.

Anyway, glad to now be a part of the milling niche. Thanks, Tony!

Been milling since Christmas day. Thanks honey, even though it was. A suprise to her.
I don't have as much great wood species as folks further south. Maple and softwoods mostly. Have a nice black walnut log I horded. Been practicing so I do a good job when I split it.

Been milling since Christmas day. Thanks honey, even though it was. A suprise to her.
I don't have as much great wood species as folks further south. Maple and softwoods mostly. Have a nice black walnut log I horded. Been practicing so I do a good job when I split it.
That Walnut log is highly valuable! :popcorn2:

Yes, Inquiring Minds want to know,

Maybe an Idea we haven't thought of yet, and we are going to Shamelessly Steal your Idea, if it is any Good ;)

Doug :cheers:
You'll be disappointed I' afraid. Nothing clever just helpful to have a few things at my fingertips when milling.

Back