592 XP Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreb12

Stihl Addicted
Reaction score
Has anyone used a 592 xp for milling consistently? I have a beautfiul 395 xp I bought a couple years ago and mill 10 logs per year or so, but love the look of the new 592 and the idea of Autotune. All of my other saws are M-tronic or Autotune. I would probably make about $300 selling my 395 if I made a swap. Just not sure going to the 592 would be a downgrade... I typically only mill up to 30" dia.

Has anyone used a 592 xp for milling consistently? I have a beautfiul 395 xp I bought a couple years ago and mill 10 logs per year or so, but love the look of the new 592 and the idea of Autotune. All of my other saws are M-tronic or Autotune. I would probably make about $300 selling my 395 if I made a swap. Just not sure going to the 592 would be a downgrade... I typically only mill up to 30" dia.
Been wondering about those saws. The specs look fantastic, but haven't heard any real world experience with them. Seem a higher performance saw, but for milling past a certain size I think the grunt of the 395 would be an even match if not better. If you only use the big saw for milling, then doesn't seem any point in switching from the 395. If you want a more all around performance big saw, then it might be worth it.

I know someone personally that mills with it, and I know of others from youtube, euros mostly. It seems to handle the heat well and there arent any major mill related issues. Some of these people mill 60” poplars no problems.

What you need to know is about these 2 more general issues with this saw:
Top dog case support is a bit flimsy and breaks pretty often during impact or twist motion, and I think starting with somewhere in 2023 production year they thickened that area.
Second issue is the air filter cover, the base seems to be flimsy too together with the cover, and vibration will make the plastic cover “eat” through the magnesium base after enough run hours ( 500+ hours), and I dont think that was improved yet. So you’ll need to find a way to dampen the contact area between the cover and the base. Some thin rubber or something is what I’d use. Enjoy the saw, nothing is ever perfect, so dont stress too much.

Latest posts

Back