new toy ;o) but arrived damaged :o(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked up your saws parts list and it shows it with a replaceable rear handle, it's joined to the airbox and part of the rear of the saw behind the cylinder. It doesn't appear to be a difficult fix, just a half dozen bolts or so. Homelite has many saws with that design so it shouldn't be hard to find a parts saw. Looks to me like about any older Homelite in the 900 series would work.

Some of those Homelites have replaceable handles and a lot of different models look like yours so you could probably find a handle for it. I just replaced one today that I thought was made into the case but it was not, three or four bolts and the handle and airbox were off, along with the back of the saw. I would check into replacement before welding or glue..
I looked up an IPL for this saw and the rear handle/air box assembly looks like the rest of the 900 series saws. They have one on ebay for around $40 but it's for a 925 which looks like the same thing.

thanks for the info but its getting sent back to the seller as he thought £30.00 partial refund was to much.
That is what I probably would have done unless I got it dirt cheap. Some sellers don't know how to pack a chainsaw. You pack it like you know it is gonna get thrown around because sometimes it is. You particularly pack it good around the handle because that and the chain brake handle are the easiest to break..

the seller has agreed to give me a full refund as he thought a £30 partial refund to cover the damage was too much so the saw is now going back , £30-£40 is about what it would cost to buy a used handle from the USA and have it posted. no telling some folk.

good move, capt d
maybe next time they know to pack well

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

For future reference you do need magnesium filler rod to produce a weld with any strength. You could drip in aluminum rod but it doesn't adhere well with the base metal.

Also, I've found old Homelite cases to be of the highest quality mag alloy and the weld really nicely compared to other saws. Stihl cases are by far the worst.

Latest posts

Back