New way to scrounge for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967 Tempest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I usually search CL which works but is usually slow. You have to check back often. This year I started an ad asking for it. The first day I got a return of a HUGE honey pot of wood.

It is 35 miles away and takes about an hour to get to. Which is the bad part, but I have taken 3 cord out so far. I haven't even made it to the big stuff yet. Most white oak and ash. The lady was grateful as these trees where from Sandy. New saw is the best! All the trees where on the ground or at an angle from the blow over.

I think it is a toss up. 2 hours to pick up .6 to .7 cord (fully loaded with rounds in 8' bed) but free. I've used more time LOOKING for free wood.

Point? Start an ad asking for it. I am almost turning people away!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. To bad it wasn't closer to your home though. Its amazing what you can get sometimes and all you have to do is ask.

Put some side boards on the truck and you can get a cord in it.
I'm guessing this is a 1 ton truck? (1/2 tons are worthless!)

Yep, never hurts to ask! And eventually, play your cards right, you might could make some coin to haul away your firewood.

I usually search CL which works but is usually slow. You have to check back often. This year I started an ad asking for it. The first day I got a return of a HUGE honey pot of wood.

It is 35 miles away and takes about an hour to get to. Which is the bad part, but I have taken 3 cord out so far. I haven't even made it to the big stuff yet. Most white oak and ash. The lady was grateful as these trees where from Sandy. New saw is the best! All the trees where on the ground or at an angle from the blow over.

I think it is a toss up. 2 hours to pick up .6 to .7 cord (fully loaded with rounds in 8' bed) but free. I've used more time LOOKING for free wood.

...good deal Tempest. Sounds like you made a great score, even if a little drive time involved.

I did that a few years back, got nothing. Plus someone kept deleting the Add, must have been a landscaper or something.

At least gas is cheaper now. I had a add on for awhile and paid some people for good wood. I sell it all for top dollar so it worked out good. I could haul 2 cords at a time. I get $360 a cord for oak.

I did that a few years back, got nothing. Plus someone kept deleting the Add, must have been a landscaper or something.

Occasionally we'll have guys around here post up an ad looking for trees to cut for firewood too. Most of the time a tree service company gets that ad deleted. Doesn't stop them, though. It'll reappear a few days later.

You need a bigger truck!

I agree with others. At that distance spend time cutting until you have a stash then rent a good sized hauler for a day.
The wood is prime quality and free, plenty of room there too spend a few bucks for good equipment rental.

Harry K

35 miles you need to invest in a trailer. Good scrounge. My previous job paid me to do tree work in the offseason, now I'm hooked up with a local tree company that drops off rounds ready to split in my driveway.

Latest posts

Back