"New West" - 044 Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarshark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These are pics of a New West P/C kit off an 044 I bought for parts and listed as low compression. Sure enough, the compression guage showed 90 psiI I pulled the muffler...no scoring. So I pulled the p/c and found a relatively new, clean p/c,no scoring,rings are free and no apparent reason for such low compression. It is a 50mm, 12mm wristpin kit. Can this be any other reason other that shoddy manufacturing ? The cylinder bolts were tight and the base gasket(metal) was in good shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 75
Squish has not been checked, nor have I measured the rings for correct 1.2 mm thickness. I have already ordered a used OEM p&c and I will put in a new set of rings to be safe. I had never seen this brand(New West) kit and was curious if any forum members might have had any experience with them.

Howdy,
The center of the piston pin to the top of the piston should be 21.5mm. More than likely it's the squish. Did you maybe get the 1mm thick cylinder gasket instead of the .5mm?
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the data Greg. Very useful. I will check these measurements and report back. The A/M pist/cyl kit was in the saw when I got it so I dont know where it came from. It appears the rebuild was done along w/ new av bushings,new fuel lines,rim sprocket then the PO fired the saw up, cut wood for less than a minute and gave up. I am sure performance was horrible w/ 90 psi. It will be a nice saw when I get finished.

Not to ask a silly question, but was the plug tight? That is low compression.

Good Luck with the rebuilt, I think you will really like that saw when you get done with it.

On my compression tester...you unscrew the plug and screw the tester into the hole. Yea...the 044 is a good saw.

To those who have requested measurements :
1) Ring end gap- .89mm
2) Base gasket- .48 mm
3) center of piston pin to top of piston- 21.75 mm

There is no vertical play in the rod. I have yet to measure the squish(no plasti-guage) and I probably won't because I really don't care whether this aftermarket kit is salvagable . A good used 12 mm OEM (Gilardoni cyl) is in the mail. I am still curious as to what the problem with this kit is and I am leaning toward too much headspace at top dead center but that is just a guess.

Howdy,
The center of the piston pin to the top of the piston should be 21.5mm. More than likely it's the squish. Did you maybe get the 1mm thick cylinder gasket instead of the .5mm?
Regards
Gregg
I was wondering the same thing on the gasket, many do not know this. A dealer tried to sell me the thick gasket (I knew better).

Ring gap should be about .007- .012, not .89. That's about .003- .004 per inch of bore.
Squish measurement?

I have a new set of caber rings that should be here tomorrow. I will compare them to the rings that were in the kit. Sound like,according to your specs, the the piston may have the wrong rings. I have not measured the squish. Thanks Randy

Latest posts

Back