New wood burner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't overlook your safety ....Get some smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide tester .. The life you save could be your own

Update, well it's been a little over a month with the little stove and well,,, I like it. There was a bit of a learning curve, think small stove = small wood. I was putting in what I considered small wood and my Mini was pitching a fit. I took some of my stack of wood and split it in half and wala, she smiled and thanked me by putting off an incredible amount of heat, no more smoldering just instant fire. What I would consider kindling for my big stove was perfect for the Mini. I had to remember, small firebox, small air intake, small chimney = small wood. It's 32 out tonight and the Mini has no problem keeping my 30 foot camper 90 at half throttle if I wish, whew that's hot. Kind of strange a warm camper without the furnace running every 5 minutes and or some space heaters running non stop, nothing more to say except it's SWEET. :)

...small firebox... = small wood.
Nice‼ Good to hear all is working out to your liking.

It a bit more than just the box size and such, I believe overall design has more to do with it. My PE Spectrum (now in the shop) has roughly the same size box as the previous smoke dragon... and when connected to the same exact chimney using the same size flue pipe, the PE liked (needed) way smaller wood. I have to make separate firewood for the shop now... cut it shorter and split it 1/3 the size I split for the furnace in the house (or the older smoke dragon). It actually makes for more work... more splitting, more handling, more time consuming. Rounds that I never split before need to be split into three (sometimes four) pieces.

And no guys, it don't even out in the end... using 25% less wood does not offset a 200% increase in processing/handling time. Just stacking the stuff for seasoning; it takes a lot longer to stack 900-1000 pieces of wood than it takes to stack 300... a lot longer.

I lived in a 24 foot Kit Companion trailer for a couple years in what is the Siberia of our fair state. Luckily, those were two warmer than normal winters as it only got to -5. I would wake up to frost on the walls. Then that would drip off. It was a 1970 something and there was no exhaust fan in it.

Because I knew it was a frigid environment, I had heat tape around the water hose, skirting around the trailer, and I plugged up half the windows with fiberglass batting. I tried to never cool spaghetti or anything that needed boiling for very long, or simmering. The refrigerator would not work when temps got much below freezing so I had a cooler that was kept outside. I learned about the fridge after going to SoCal on a fire crew around Thanksgiving. I came back to a horribly smelling little trailer. Frozen things had thawed and were rotting...icky.

The furnace never did work. I had electricity, so ran one space heater and had a mini one that I'd turn on when it was really cold.

It wasn't very healthy--feet were always cold while at head level it was very warm. I was glad when I found a real house to rent.

Hope you don't have to live that way very long.

Latest posts

Back