newb from the U.P.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLVRTRC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Im Josh

I kinda have been lurking here for a while and reading A LOT and thought I would say hi and say a few words about myself. Im 25 live in the metropolis of Hermansville, MI for those of you that don't know it's int the UP and right in the middle of the banana belt get 100* summers and -40* winters and such. I work 2 miles away, walking distance from the bars and 20 miles form anything of any significance. I have a lot of hobbies I have a 72 Javelin and a 79 CJ5 i hunt fish camp trail ride and anything outdoors also a Vol firefighter.

I'll get to what you all really want to know... Well it all started some time last summer I helped out my neighbor cut his years worth of firewood and enjoyed the time out in the woods working. Then this spring came along and started cutting again and I got back into it again. Then he had heard about someone selling a saw at work so it got my attention and thought i would pick it up. It was and vintage Homelite 150 Automatic (pretty sweet saw) and though its old and has been abused of the many years of use its still runs great and cuts wood. After having that for a couple months I felt the need to get something with some safety features so I shopped around and picked up a vintage 028WB off eBay and kinda got the shaft on it. It was a great running saw like he said but it had a high idle problem that he didn't mention or occurred during shipping so i took it to my Stihl dealer and had a look at it and found a few problems ( i guess the carb is supposed to be attached better than it was lol) well he went through the carb and replaced the AV bushings and the tank the frame was all broke... I dropped it off on a Friday and thought about it all weekend the dealer mentioned he took trades in so on Monday said hell with it Im in this deep so I bought a new MS310 and 18" bar. It makes my pants happy.

l_0c7990b91bb949ffa372ebc750504b14.jpg

Hi Josh

Welcome to AS!

As you have gathered, there is a lot of good info here and a lot of good people on this site. It's a great place to hang your hat!

:cheers:

Welcome to AS . IT seems like you have already caught the firewood bug. And also the dreaded C.A.D. is starting to rear its ugly head. Fight if you want but it will win you over. It is nice to see another Vol Firefighter. I have been with my dept 10 years now . It is fun when you can use a chainsaw in the line of duty.

Welcome to AS

Beefie

Welcome to AS Josh...!

This is a very cool site and a lot of the members are even cooler! Great place to obtain info on anything pertaining to firewood, woodstoves, inserts, trees, tractors, atvs, trailers, chainsaws, trucks, engines, dogs, cats, chimneys, fishing, hunting, protective gear, and the list is always growing! Like I said the majority of the guys here are the type you'd like to have as neighbors and are very knowledgeable and helpful:chainsaw:! Welcome to the fold!

Very cool saw by the way...and this being your 1st post, you get to the head of the class because you posted pictures and we love pictures here!:cheers:

bryan

Last edited:
lets see if i cant answer everything with one post

Beefie:
So yea i have been on the fire dept for 4 years now and we have a couple saws a 290 for trees and what not for the wildland fires then we have a stihl circular saw (cant remember the model) that's really fun cuts everything

Laird:
Starting this fall I will be. Its not my first time burning wood either we have had wood heat for a number of years as a kid stoves and boilers. I will be putting a wood stove in and just rely on the radiant heat from it I'll still have my gas blower for back up and such. As for the stove I am putting in I have done a bit of research and a bit of reverse engineering came up with a stove Im building. Before anyone gets up and gets in my case about globbing a few sheets of steel together and calling it a stove that's not the case. I do a bit of design work for our sister company that does custom fab work everything from wood boilers to log truck rack and pup trailers to lawn mower decks and tractor buckets... Back to the stove its been in the works for a few months now and a lot of eyes have looked at it. Just so long as i have it before October I'll be happy. Just waiting for them to cut weld it spray it with high temp stove paint throw the fire brick in and let it rip

thombat4:

i love pix
the start of my firewood collection in my basement
l_7aac49a66e834bc5902eacaf44f216fd.jpg

Welcome to AS Josh. :cheers You found a good site if you want to talk chain saws, firewood and just about anything else.

Speaking of anything else I used to run around with a guy that had a 69 Javelin. I think it had a 290 in it. Ahhhh, the good ole days.

Nice to meet you Josh, I hope to see you at one of the Michigan chainsaw get together soon. I might have to take the 1946 Willy's CJ2A the next time I visit the U.P. so that we can go Jeepin'.

I started cutting wood last year, with an old Remington SL4 and Homelite C51, neat old saws. Have fun cutting.

Welcome to AS! It's a great place with great people and great information.

:cheers:

Welcome.
Have any pictures of UP white tail?
You ever visit Port Huron?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I make it to PH a half dozen times a year to take in a few Ice Hawk games. Very nice town, probably the only place I could move to and feel right at home.

Welcome - nice to have another member from what I call FAR Northeastern Wisconsin!

I hope you enjoy watching the gas bill drop!

Make sure you post pics of the new stove (and in process of building if possible)

PS -- Did you notice that your tailgate will hold another 3-4 saws easy?:chainsaw:

Welcome Josh. I just joined this great site a few months ago. Vast amounts of information here. Nice start to your collection and yes, it will grow. You'll love the wood heat up here as well.
I'm south of Marquette and it's certainly not part of the "banana belt" up here. Have fun and saw carefully.

hey thanx for the welcome everyone

i'll definitely post pics of the stove once the ball starts rolling on it... I hit up the production manager last night. They burn wood heat at the shop too and its a big shop with to massive boilers and we need to cut wood for them too :chainsaw:

Hey Josh. Welcome to a great information sharing site! I've done quite a bit of deer hunting just down the road in Bark River as most all of my Dad's family is in the Escanaba / Gladstone area and my wife is from Munising. I actually live near Ann Arbor, (Yes I'm a Troll) but I would move up there in an instant if there were a good job. Tough times here in Michigan. I'm thankful that I even have a job. Looking forward to your stove pics!

-Derek :popcorn:

Welcome to AS Josh....since you've got the CAD thing going...make sure...not sure if ya got a wife ,but my advice is to own up to your addiction.
I've seen guys here that dang near needed flowers sent to the mortuary for hiding that new saw only to be found later by the MRS.!
It always seems that it never went too well for the poor guys here.

Then there's always the...I found it on the side of the road or...a guy made me a trade....then there's the flea market deal excuse.

Although northern Mn. is my home I do like yoopers .No non sense say it like it is kinda guys.
Ya always know where ya stand with them.

Me... I work for a furnace manufacturer by day and chase those dang fish by night and on every other day I'm not at my day job. I hear those voices calling me all of the time.
C'mon and get me they say....Cept when goose season gets hears then it's the honking or deer season it's the bucks grunting,snorting and wheezing.

Anyway nice to see ya posting pics too .....

Hey Josh. Welcome to a great information sharing site! I've done quite a bit of deer hunting just down the road in Bark River as most all of my Dad's family is in the Escanaba / Gladstone area and my wife is from Munising. I actually live near Ann Arbor, (Yes I'm a Troll) but I would move up there in an instant if there were a good job. Tough times here in Michigan. I'm thankful that I even have a job. Looking forward to your stove pics!

-Derek :popcorn:

lol im a transplant we lived in the Flint area for many years an my dad hunted up here and at the end of the season he came home said we are moving. Been up here since 95 and you couldn't pay me to leave

Welcome to AS Josh....since you've got the CAD thing going...make sure...not sure if ya got a wife ,but my advice is to own up to your addiction.
I've seen guys here that dang near needed flowers sent to the mortuary for hiding that new saw only to be found later by the MRS.!
It always seems that it never went too well for the poor guys here.

Then there's always the...I found it on the side of the road or...a guy made me a trade....then there's the flea market deal excuse.

Although northern Mn. is my home I do like yoopers .No non sense say it like it is kinda guys.
Ya always know where ya stand with them.

Me... I work for a furnace manufacturer by day and chase those dang fish by night and on every other day I'm not at my day job. I hear those voices calling me all of the time.
C'mon and get me they say....Cept when goose season gets hears then it's the honking or deer season it's the bucks grunting,snorting and wheezing.

Anyway nice to see ya posting pics too .....

lol no Mrs here yet. Im collecting all my toys first had a few close calls... i guess breaking up with your 4yr fiancee over the phone while she's 230 miles away on Valentines day weekend they never come back... turn out for the better. :givebeer:

Last edited:
Back