Newbie getting started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help with what?

Whatever it is, use the search function in the green bar at the top, and you are most likely to find a wealth of information covering your questions.

Spend some time reading, and I'm sure you'll have more specific questions to ask.

duplicate thread by Slvrmple72

Showing how much of a newbie I am I posted two threads by mistake leaving out most of my message on the one!

Develop Skills

Tree Climbers Companion is a must read. Also, I rented several of the Arbormaster videos and got a lot of great information from them. A local Tree service/Arborist store puts on seminars in the spring for a very low cost. Last topics were Chainsaw Safety, Beginning Rigging, and Advanced Rigging. Good luck and start low.

ACRT Training

Is fifty feet low enough? I have worn out my Beranek's Fundamentals and Jepson's Tree Climbers Comp. When I started into this I was another one of those homeowner turned treeclimber ( see other thread I started by mistake) and started doing work for friends and family WITHOUT INSURANCE!!! I was an IDIOT to say the least. Anyhow, to make a long story short my good friend Dave and I split insurance for the two of us and started doing smaller trees once again for more friends and family. That was about five years ago. If the tree was out of our league we passed on it. Anyhow, Dave hurt his back on his truck driving job and that coupled with referals where the prospective customer would balk at my written estimate ( " You mean I have to pay you? I thought the firewood from this would cover it?..etc,etc.) pretty much ended things. Then I lost my full time job at the end of 06.(once again, see other thread). I am very safety conscious so I won't work alone and realize the need to get certified training to make me more appealing to the local tree services in the Akron area so I can start making this a full time career. I found ACRT, Vegetation Management today. They offer hands on training in week long classes. The website looked very good and very informative. Anyone know about them? I am considering them very seriously.:)

always remember "safety first" and be a professional and do a professional job also. stay away from power lines unless you are trained too work around them. try too avoid jobs that may be too big for you to handle right now, if you don't have a bucket truck try too find someone who does and would be willing too help you on jobs, I have a guy who helps me, when I think I need him we will go look at the job together and price it.

I have worn out my Beranek's Fundamentals and Jepson's Tree Climbers Comp.

Hey Silver,
Not saying you are, but I tried to do everything myself my first year.
The best thing that ever happed to me was to watch/work with some experienced guys and then get them to be a groundie for you. They can talk you through/teach stuff both in the tree and on the ground.
The difference was remarkable, as I am remarking here.

Oops

I meant to say w/the quote... I also read and re-read those two books and others and find them very valuable and still refer to them.
But experience, and experienced people are most valuable (IMO)

Yes, exactly! Thank you for the input. I go this thursday to a career one-stop place to help with my unemployment status and hopefully provide funds for certified schooling in tree work. Having talked to a few local tree company owners they think this is a great idea. The one said to come back after that. Did not promise to get me up in the trees right away becuz I had no professional evaluation of my abilities but said my references from previous customers spoke highly of my work ethic. That was worth all the money in the bank to me right now! I will keep you posted! Thanks again!:clap:

Back