Newbie question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a new job being a groundie on a tree crew with probably learning how to climb very soon. Any advice on do's and don't?? Thanks :popcorn:

Just got a new job being a groundie on a tree crew with probably learning how to climb very soon. Any advice on do's and don't?? Thanks :popcorn:

Welcome to the world of tree work.

Being a groundie is hard work, sore muscles and lots of sweat, but if you can keep up to the pace, you'll be in much better physical shape in a few months than you are now. (even if you're in good shape now)

The advice I'd offer would be...

Keep saftey in your mind in everything you do. Watchout for yourself AND all the members of the crew you work on. Be aware all the time of what is going on around and especially above you. Communicate with the other members of the crew. Wear your PPE, even if its hot or uncomfortable. The company you're working for should at least give you a hardhat, earplugs, and saftey glasses, if they don't ask questions.

Since you're here asking questions before you even start, I get the idea that you want to perform well at your new job. SO.....

Be at work everyday you're scheduled. Be on time. Be ready to work your butt off every day, and learn the many, many things you need to know to work safely, and make yourself worth a premium wage. ( I know this sounds basic and simple, but it really is the first criteria for being an effective tree worker and future climber.)

Stay clear of the drop zone, unless all clear has been called.
Look up often. Communicate.
Learn to use the ground saw safely and effectively.
Learn to sharpen it, and keep all the saws full of gas and oil.
Learn to tie knots and start learning about lowering wood.
Learn to send tools aloft safely and quickly.
Feed the chipper from the side, and take the time to cut off any branches which could drag you in.
Read Arboristsite....you'll learn tons.

Saftey is the first priority, you can't work everyday if you're hurt, but to maximize efficiency, being fast is important. Try to never be the person the crew is waiting on for whatever is next to continue. Look and think ahead, and move quickly and with purpose.

Hope this helps, and let us know how your first days go, and your impressions of the crew you're on, and treework in general.

See the link below, and learn about tree care instead of just tree removal.
You will have a longer and happier career if you do.:cheers:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's...I will keep you guys posted on progress and I am sure I will be learning something new everyday which is gonna want me to ask more questions on here. Its gonna be nice to put what I am learning in school (hort major) into the working world. Thanks:newbie:

See the link below, and learn about tree care instead of just tree removal.
You will have a longer and happier career if you do.:cheers:

You are a groundsman, do as you are told, do you want to save trees and become a skinny freak with a girlfriend who doesn't shave her arm hair, protesting and chaining yourself to logging equipment? Removals are fun, more of a rush, more danger, more chance of major property damage. Making sh&t happen is much more satisfying then fagging out some tree, cutting of little branches with a handsaw. For me, at least.

"fagging out some tree, cutting of little branches with a handsaw. For me, at least.".........ummmm, ok.....good luck on your job man

You are a groundsman, do as you are told, do you want to save trees and become a skinny freak with a girlfriend who doesn't shave her arm hair, protesting and chaining yourself to logging equipment? Removals are fun, more of a rush, more danger, more chance of major property damage. Making sh&t happen is much more satisfying then fagging out some tree, cutting of little branches with a handsaw. For me, at least.

I agree-trimmed for several years and got bored with it. Takedowns are where it's at man!! Trimming-oops, dropped a branch on a fence. Takedowns-oh ????, just dropped half a tree through that house! Doing strictly takedowns for over 8 years now and it's an adventure every time! However, i know alot of climbers that can't deal with that kind of pressure all the time.

Ground man

Welcome to Arboristsite
Lots of good advice to be had here. Your best experence will come on the job site. Listen to your climber and try to save him time. Tie ropes or saws on his climbing at your head hight to save him from pulling up alot of rope.
When the climber comes down from the tree, do up the ropes before starting to cut anything on the ground.
Rake towards the chipper or truck.
Learn to file a chain and to dress a bar.
Sell some work next door when your at lunch... lol

Newguy777,

Clearence and Treeseeer are opposite ends of the vast spectrum of being which all those who come here are part of. Each of them is a respected expert in their part of the field, and you can learn much from either and many of the others here. However, always keep in mind that form follows function; in other words, technique must be chosen based on situation and mission objectives. And that any advice from above must be applied to the situation for which it was intended. Otherwise you may end up footlocking into the canopy on 11mm line while wearing corks and carrying with you a ¾ wrap, 36”, 066 set up with big dogs and RSLFK, also a set of very, very sharp secateurs. And that would just be silly :)

Good luck with your work.

Last edited:
I survived my first week!

I made it through my first week guys. Thanks for the advice. I am workin with a awesome crew. I'm sore as hell. I like it though! Time to go drink some beer and play with some women! Have a great weekend guys! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back