Newbie Rec climber looking at trees....Correctly Pruned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicoyoung

Reaction score
I am new to climbing and new to the form but I have spent some time reading many of your conversations especially on injuries and fatalities. Thank you for posting your stories.

I began this journey about 6 months ago with and interest to learn to tie knots. I stumbled upon the figure 8 on a bight knot that could be used in life support and the wheel kept turning from there. I ordered Peter Jenkins DVD "Tree climbing basics" since I thought that would be a good place to start, from there I have ordered Jerry Beranek's DVD " Working Climber Access and movement through the tree, The tree climber's companion and taken a few of the online classes from the ISA website. It didn't take long to realize the ones who knew most about tree climbing even from a recreational side where Arborists.

I believe the safety aspects of tree climbing lends itself to Arborculture: Tree biology, tree identification, potential hazards, learning and having respect for trees.

When I was in my twenties I found myself driving around peeking out the window looking at women, now in my mid forties I am peeking out looking at trees. I am wondering if any of the Pro's or Non Pro's can comment on a few of these pruned trees in my area. I do not know the company who pruned these trees but it seems like the protocol here in Southern California is to strip the inside or thin the crown and shape it like a ball or mushroom top. The first tree a Knobecone or Grey pine, the second is a Chinese Elm, and the Third is a Carrotwood. To me the Pine looks a bit naked, the Elm looks like it got beaten up and the Carrotwood got a buzz cut. What is your opinion? Is this normal in your area too, maybe at the request of the owner or property manager.

Attachments

• DSC00725.JPG
    DSC00725.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00728.JPG
    DSC00728.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00709.JPG
    DSC00709.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 92
The first is an Italian stone pine, the carrotwoods are hacked because thats what shopping centers want,,,
Jeff
Jeff, thank you for the clarification on the Pine. It appears as though there is a lack of education or awareness on the side of property owners/managers.

This topped pine caught my attention the other day, number one it doesn't look right and number two this could pose a real hazard to climb several years down
the road if the top grows in as a sucker and the climber does not know it.

Attachments

• DSC00722.JPG
    DSC00722.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 30
Any climber with the tiniest bit of knowledge (I know, that excludes about 50% of them) will be able to see that it was topped and work accordingly. The hazard on those types of trees is the strength of the top branch (now leader) connection and how rotten the topping cut is.

We were working on a western hemlock and red cedar today. They were both topped at about 50' and the suckers were about 40' above that. The hemlock had 3 suckers (leaders), 2 were not safe to climb and 1 was. The cedar had 3 leaders and they were all solid. Once you're at the topping cut, you can quickly determine which ones you can trust.

Jeff, thank you for the clarification on the Pine. It appears as though there is a lack of education or awareness on the side of property owners/managers.

This topped pine caught my attention the other day, number one it doesn't look right and number two this could pose a real hazard to climb several years down
the road if the top grows in as a sucker and the climber does not know it.

Those are poorly placed Canary Island pines,,the owners of the property will learn the hard way.
Jeff,,:)

I've only seen the Chinese elm thinned this way on my visits to SoCal. Apparently this is done, or sold, on aesthetic grounds ("Older trees look nice with an occasional light thinning to show off the wonderful trunk and branch structure"). I'm with you about the particular tree in your photo, but I imagine good uses for it--perhaps if the foliage is completely blocking the street view of a business. The light-colored, serpentine trunks and branches of this tree can be beautiful, and most beautiful of course to bucket truck owners.

Latest posts

Back