NewHolland skidsteer W/tracks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
I would like to hear what some of you have to say about the new Holland skidsteers W/tracks. I currently have a LS 180 On tires with the iron tracks wrapped around the tires. I find the machiene has plenty of power, but I have traction problems working in wooded areas. I am looking at trading it in for an LT 185.B skidsteer with 17.5" tracks. I have seen other makes working and doing pretty well, I have equity built up with newholland and it would be in my best intrests to stick with that dealer financially. What are your thoughts, expieriences and comments?
thanks

Kurt

I like Newholland too. Try a true trackloader, demo it for a few weeks.

who is true trackloader, Do they have a website? The reason i will stick with NH is because of trade in value of my current machine.

What he means is try demoing a macine that has track drive insteacd of the steel tracks. The steel tracks have there place, but don't have the lower ground pressure that the rubber track machines have and will tend to sink instead of "floating" on top of the muck.

If you are stuck on NewHolland (nothing wrong with them BTW) look at the C185 or C190, true track machines.
Link:
http://www.newholland.com/h4/produc...L=ENNA&NavID=000001277003&series=000006045611
Andy

yea, I figured out what he ment by true track just after I posted my reply. Don't Judge me on that malfunction of brain power. I am not stuck on new holland, I just will be able to get a better deal there. If I can trade at cat or Avs or somewhere and get a good deal that will work financially for me I will go with the best. When you say C185 of c190, are you making reference to CAT?

Nope, follow that link above, it will take you to the NewHolland traked machines.
Andy

right, I have already talked with the newholland dealership on the LT185.B tracked loader. I just checked out cat, their machiene has more ground clearance and probably a better track system. Some time this week I will go over there and see what they can do. In the mean time I am waiting for the salesman from New Holland to call me back with his package on trade and financing. I am looking for the best machiene which will preform in woodland situations, creek bottoms ect... This is to clean up my property from the hurricane. I hardly every use my current skidsteer on residential tree removal which is 80% of the buisness that I do. My main problem is that my current LS 180 keeps getting stuck and fights the hills and soft ground for traction resulting in a big mess.

Never have understood that myself, the NewHollands just seem to sink like a rock in sand and slop? Seems odd to me as well, great machines other than that. I would look very hard at the ASV machines, built by cat, with cat motors and controls, but not as pricey. I ran a new Bobcat with the electronic hand controls a while back, not very fond ot it at all!! Very touchy, almost instentanious, just too jerky for my taste!!
The Bobcats do have better ground clearance and floatation, but most everyone I know LOVES the Cat's, just not willing to pay the premium price for them!
Andy

Yea, not real sure on the price of the cats but I am sure it is not going to be nice. I think the AVS in the size range I am thinking of is about 38K which is the price of the new holland. It's all about the trade on this one.

Got my JD 250 with loegering tracks burried in the mud for the first time today doing some brush hogging. Felt lucky to have a dozer near by to yard me out. My biggest complaint with the steel tracks over tires on a skid steer on a wood lot is getting a branch or log stuck in the tracks, man does that stop you fast! A friend of mine should be picking up a new LT185 any day, I can't wait to try it out, it sounds like a great machine. The Cat machines are great but I can't see a darn thing out the back of them.

Got my JD 250 with loegering tracks burried in the mud for the first time today doing some brush hogging. Felt lucky to have a dozer near by to yard me out. My biggest complaint with the steel tracks over tires on a skid steer on a wood lot is getting a branch or log stuck in the tracks, man does that stop you fast! A friend of mine should be picking up a new LT185 any day, I can't wait to try it out, it sounds like a great machine. The Cat machines are great but I can't see a darn thing out the back of them.

I like the way a new holland rides.

But they are so hard to work on .If you have ever had to change the oil in one you know what I mean . New Holland seem to have a lot on fuel problems . I do feel a lot safer on a hill with new Holland . But bobcats never seem to break down . I would really like to try and run one of those T300 bobcats they look like the cats meow.

We run T-300's and they are the cats meow. Our machines have the Advanced hand controls and the foot pedals so you can pick the type of control you like to use. Personally I like the Hand controls nice and easy on the knees. I have tried the Digital hand controls and I can't stand them they are way to touchy and very hard to feel the machine under you.

Never have understood that myself, the NewHollands just seem to sink like a rock in sand and slop? Seems odd to me as well, great machines other than that. I would look very hard at the ASV machines, built by cat, with cat motors and controls, but not as pricey. I ran a new Bobcat with the electronic hand controls a while back, not very fond ot it at all!! Very touchy, almost instentanious, just too jerky for my taste!!
The Bobcats do have better ground clearance and floatation, but most everyone I know LOVES the Cat's, just not willing to pay the premium price for them!
Andy

ASV makes ASV,,,they just use some cat componets,,stick controlls, Perkins diesel...

New Holland Skidsteer w/trcks

I suggest that you go to the thread under large equipment, "ASV30 VS ASV50 "Large Equipment". Read every posting. Then go to the web site for "All Surface Vehicle Industries" otherwise known as ASV. Read everything that they have to offer. Call the 800 number and ask for the literature and the DVD package. I suggest very strongly that you do not buy anything until you have researched this machine exhaustively. Then demo the machine. Then you decide what is best for you. Me? I will have an ASV track loader in my company before spring.

Work safe and tread lightly on the turf. Good luck with your search!

IATreeguy

Kurt:

I think the NH is a good product. Has good weight distribution for up & down hills. When you said "17.5 tracks" I assume you are referring to the rubber tracks. With your use being "in the woods", you are just going to tear then up. Not cheap to replace. I have Leogering on my JD 332. Steel track over the rubber tires. Tracks can come off and on as needed; with a little practice. Lot less $ too . If you were doing residental work, then those rubber tracks would not get ripped up so fast, and a little less aggressive running over the front lawn.

In the woods, the steel tracks will give you: more weight at ground level for stability, a little wider wheel base, and a
much more solid wheel base.

bob

Yea, not real sure on the price of the cats but I am sure it is not going to be nice. I think the AVS in the size range I am thinking of is about 38K which is the price of the new holland. It's all about the trade on this one.

DO NOT BUY A CAT OR ASV. They are not designed for extreme use and the tracks fall apart. It even says so in their manual. Bobcat, JD, NH are the best ones for "creek bottoms" and wooded areas.

Back