Newly Planted Arbutus Marina Bark Peeling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nantucket

Reaction score
Hi!

I planted a 24" box Arbutus Marina about 5 months ago - the tree was about 10 feet tall and 4 feet wide when it was put in and has already grown at least a foot since it was planted. In general, it seems to be weathering it's first Southern California summer in the ground very well, although we've had very odd weather this year and it's only truly starting to really heat up outside now.

That said, about four weeks ago the beautiful cinnamon-colored bark on the trunk began to crack, and within a few days nearly all of the bark completely peeled away in small "shavings", leaving the trunk a whitish/greenish color and very smooth surfaced - the tree trunk no longer looks like it has much bark at all, and there's no evidence that new darker surface is developing. Is this normal for this tree? I realize that the bark on the mature Arbutus is peeling constantly - it's one of the most beautiful features of the tree - but photos I've seen on the internet show dark bark peeling away to reveal new, rich brown bark - not bark peeling away leaving what looks like a naked trunk.

Just trying to make sure the tree isn't stressed in any way since it's so new in our landscape - other than this issue, the tree seems to be very healthy and happy!

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the site, Nantucket.

Could you post pictures? In googling this species, some of the under bark can appear greenish. But I certainly wouldn't want to say "A-ok" without seeing your tree.

Sylvia

Photos of Arbutus Marina

Hi Sylvia!

Thanks for the welcome and the response! Attached are two photos - one of the overall tree and the other a closeup of the trunk.

Thanks for taking a look!

Nan, the pictures came out a bit small. Generally it is good to strive for a 100 to 200 kB.

I am having a bit of difficulty interpreting what I am seeing. Is this tree staked?

The trunk looks very cinnamon still in the picture.

I would double check the depth at which this tree was planted.

Would you mind trying to post a couple of pictures that are bigger? Include one of the base of the tree as well.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back