Newly planted damaged tree needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrw

Reaction score
HI, we live in New Orleans & recently tried to replace a tree we lost. We bought a Tulip Poplar & had the garden center plant it for us. Unfortunately in the process, they put the forks of the forklift thru the root ball, broke a branch and removed almost 2 feet of bark around the entire tree. New trees are scarce around here right now & they don't have another to replace it with. They are telling us that it will recover, but it looks bad. They haven't told us how to care for it or even whether or not it will survive. I need another opinion before their person comes out. My husband thinks we should have them dig it up & take it back. Help please!

HOw much bark is damaged where? Posting a picture would be ideal, but if too much bark is torn off yes you should get it replaced. Liriodendron rots pretty easy.

You didnt say how big the tree was but Im sure you paid a pretty penny for it. Dont let them take your money and run. Make them put you in a new one. If the dont have one like theyve said, get your money and go somewhere else.

To bad the nursery did this to begin with. Makes me question their quality all around.

Don't settle for this - you paid good money for a good tree, not damaged merchandise from their mistake. :cry:

Tell them in no uncertain terms that you want a new tree or your money back...

Thanks for the information. The tree is approximately 25 feet tall. The bark is stripped from the base 2 feet up all the way around. I am attaching a picture as requested. Thank you.

Wow! I'm not tree pro and even I know better than that! What kind of morons does that garden center have working for them? They would have needed a chainsaw to kill that tree any deader! :jawdrop:

I learned the consequences of "girdling" a tree when I was, what? 10, maybe? :confused:

Last edited:
That tree unfortunately is done. Get your money back and stay away from them in the future if they said that tree would recover. As has been said you paid for a new tree not a damaged one and this is damaged bad.

Would you have bought that tree if that's what it looked like in the field? Would you have paid the money you did?

Have them come and get it.

I don't know if it's against the rules of the site or not, but can you PM me or e-mail me through the site and tell me who did this to you? We're trying to re-plant on the North Shore also, and I want to be sure I do NOT recomend that garbage center (sp deliberate). Wait a minute. Maybe the owner/operator doesn't even know about it. Have you talked to to the boss?

No Way a tree girdled that badly can survive, much less prosper.

Last edited:
Lord Have Mercy

That reminds me of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail scene where the Black Knight gets all his limbs cut off but insists that he is alright. Looks like the official tree of FEMA.
Check out this list of suggested trees for your area. I wouldn't plant a Tulip Poplar. I'd try to locate a Chinese Lacebark Elm - Ulmus parvifolia (misspelled on the list) or a Bald Cypress - Taxodium distichum, both superior trees.

http://www.i-55.com/lan/notree.html

Chinese Lacebark Elm - Ulmus parvifolia not parviflora.

troubled tree

I spoke to the owners of the garden center & they are going to make it right. I showed them pictures & they immediately said we need to pick out a new tree and they will come out and plant it & remove the old one. The center has been around for a long time. I just feel sad for the tree--it was beautiful & made a great addition to our yard. Also, it's hard to find nice looking larger trees since everyone is replanting from the storm. I lost 5 trees & I live on a 75 x 130 lot-- I can't imagine having to replant an acre or more!

I would use this center again, & just ask for different people to deliver the tree. I was unlucky & got a new crew--just another Katrina after effect!

Back