Nice little knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<-------------- Noob, first post...and I'd like to know the difference between a hitch and a knot.

a hitch is a type of knot tied around a ring, clip, or spar. ie timber hitch, clove hitch, anchor hitch. also if secured to another rope if the latter is inert, ie cammel hitch, blakes hitch, tautline hitch.

this definition is according to ashly and may not hold true for more modern knots. in example the prussik, which according to the older definition should be a hitch, but i've never heard anyone say "prussik hitch."

What Corey said. A hitch is tied to something, where a knot is tied to itself. He pointed out an exception, and another would be fishing knots, where they're tied to a hook should be classified as hitches, but in fishin, they're all knots.

Sorry about the delay on the video. I had all my external harddrives disappear from my computer, my computer guy was out of town for a week and finally yesterday we got everything restored. I had progression series of the Beer knot in still images and could have presented it much like the Bull with the yellow tenex sling early in this thread, but to really do this knot it's due service, it needs to be shown in real motion video. I'll finish that up, found the music and I'll hammer the final hour or two later on, then transfer the video to a server and link us up. It'll be fun.

awesome tree machine ..cant wait to see it ...darn hard one to tie that dang beer knot .... but so tidy very cool ..... thanx dark

You won't believe the number of hours it took to produce this piece that's under a minute long. It still does not show as clear as I'd like, but it gives you the overall concept.

1) Proper length (up to you, but a wingspan is a good sling length)
2) Cut one end as a sharp angle, the other flat. Melt ends with a lighter
3) Cut a nick in the sharp end of the webbing. Split the end of the chopstick, or whittle it to a point.
4) Tie a common overhand knot toward the flat-cut end, one chopstick length from the end.
5) Put the sharp end of the chopstick in the tip of the angle end of the webbing.
6) Using the chopstick'd pointy web, push it into the flat-cut end of the webbing, the full length.
7) Pull out the chopstick.
8) Dress the lengths so the webbing is flat inside the webbing.
9) Work the overhand knot up into the dual web zone, all the way to the entry point (fast-motion part of the video). Don't think... feel.
10) Dress and tighten up. You are finished.

Make sure you can feel the pointy-end of the webbing exiting the knot (interiorly) at least a few centimeters (an inch or more).

Between the instructions and the video, I believe you are on your way to Beer Knot Nirvana. For a real challenge, try stuffing the one end inside the other without the assistance of the chopstick. It CAN be done, but you'll realize quickly what an advantage the chopstick serves.

3.5 meg. To the dial-up guys, click on the link, go make a sandwich and come right back.

http://treeguy.info/videos/beer_knot.mov

Last edited:
AWESOME dude you are tir the beer insanely fast haha ... liked the fast mo ... that is a dang hard knot to tie but very tidy ...har .... i heard it is almost twice as strong as its brother the water knot ... makes me wonder how close the strength of the beer is to a sewn runner .... just got in fron the wood yard almost all peelers today 285 .00 for the load not bad ontop of our removal fee .... think ill go tie one on .... the beer knot ......

new knot in action

Well we’ve come full around, from mr. Peabody’s blackboard to the jungle.

The first pic is my new split tail next to the old one. The tail of the new one is sewn to the standing part, underneath the duct tape. I’ve been using it for a coupla weeks now and there appears to be no change in tension on either leg.

The second pic is the new split tail in action. A very busy saddle indeed. The primary climbline (the one w/ the new ST) goes over to the Oak, screen right. The center ring is a secondary tie in several feet above me in the birch. The webbing covered rope is my life support sling which is currently being used to secure the camera case.

Do you see how the two round turns on the top of the biner shifts the load towards the gate? With a double fisherman's/overhand bend you only have one round turn and the load is more centered.

If you decide to use this knot you should consider shifting over to using the large end of HMS type biners. Putting the load towards the gate can overload the locking mechanism and can jam up the gate too.

I was reading an account of locking biner failure [it broke] while a guy was rapelling using a fig.8 they think the 8 loaded the locker applying inward pressure on the gate it self ... they tested a bunch of locking biners and fuond that if you apply press. inward on the gate they usually fail around 500 pounds . when the guy applied breaking hand it is assumed the 8 was twisted and torqued onto the gate of the biner tus eaosly exceeding 500 pounds ... scary

Latest posts

Back