Nice Runnin' 021 or a dog 029 trade-in for $125?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe mine was a Walbro. Didn't really look to see who made it just tuned it up and started cutting.

I meant adjustment screw-wise. I then read the thread and watched the vid and you evidently had enuff range to pull it off without blowin' it up - yet!
Cool.:clap:

Poge

I never watched Nuzzy's video. It looks like from the thread he left the baffle out and I just drilled some holes in mine and replaced it. The way I modded it was not a full blown mod, just opened it up a bit. It had an added increase in power and noise and runs like a bigger saw. It runs real good and went from a saw that sat in the shed to the one I use quite a bit now. I am glad I modded it and would do it again. Definitely worth the 20 minutes I had invested into the whole thing.

A bit off topic.......

Wrooster what would you reccomend as a first digital camera? Your pics are very nice.What do U use?Thanks.

Wrooster what would you reccomend as a first digital camera? Your pics are very nice.What do U use?Thanks.

He used a Nikon E5400.

I used an older Sony that doesn't come close to his Nikon.

You may be surprised at the pic quality and ease of use in the Kodak line these days at a very reasonable price, but there are many very cool entry level digital cameras on the market. Do your homework if you're picky, or just get one within your budget and start taking pictures.

Battery life is always your friend, so put that aspect up front in your decision making process. And if the device will also use AA's in a pinch, better yet.

So what kind o' saw do you wanna take pictures of?

Poge

Got tired of going in circles with the search nonsense here on 021's, so forgive the questions that have probably been answered many times before.

Was at my Stihl dealer today for some 026 parts and saw a guy out front messin' with a coupla trade-ins like he was interested in buyin one. An 029 that was pretty beat, but finally started for him -- sounded like crap and didn't really rev too smooth --, and an 021 that was pretty clean, fired right up, and sounded mighty sweet -- at least to my rookie ears compared to the 029. He bought the 029 because it was a bigger saw even tho the 021 was in way better shape and ran better for the same price.

Questions should be obvious at this point.

Is 125 bux for a nice little 021 "as is" just a little steep? I would actually use it for tons of small stuff around the place vs. just buying it to have it.

So....

How 'bout parts availability and workability convenience for the rascal? Seems from what I've read that the 021 is a bit more rebuild friendly than the 029?

Yeah, it's an impulse thing and I think I can probably snag it for $100 or less.
Jes wonderin' out loud until that $120 044 strong runner comes my way!:popcorn:

TIA for any feedback.

Poge

Both those models are cheap crap, even when new - just so you know.......:)

if you look VERY CLOSELY you will see the problem with this sprocket...

DSCN4343.JPG

:jawdrop: No reason to look close - it is pretty obvious - I actually haven't seen worse.....:jawdrop:

Thanks for the heads up.

So if you were a tree, what saw would you use to cut yourself down? And what camera would you use to document the event?

Well, I ordered a 2153WH today (that I obviously don't need) - but the dealer wasn't sure if he could still get one (but gave me a good price, for here) - but then I need a new bar for it, as the standard 13" NK setup doesn't do that saw justice at all.......

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
He used a Nikon E5400.

that's correct, the EXIF metadata contained in the JPEG gave it away. nevertheless the E5400 is no expensive "pro" camera, it's a bread-and-butter 5 megapixel point-and-shoot that i purchased at Costco at least 5 years ago.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5400/

with most quality consumer-grade cameras these days, good photographs are less about the camera, and more about good light. sure you can spend US$3K on a "pro" DSLR setup but again if you've no idea what you are doing you are going to get crap pictures. so, to take better pictures -- read up on composition, light management, and then go practice. this is no different than a layperson buying an new MS361 or MS440 -- it's doesn't automatically make them good at felling or bucking... someone who knows what they are doing with an 021 will kick their axe in the woods.

jim aka the wrooster

Thanks!

Rep to wrooster for the nice pics of the dreaded clamshell design--I've never seen one apart. Doesn't look that bad to work on!

Olyeller

Rep to wrooster for the nice pics of the dreaded clamshell design--I've never seen one apart. Doesn't look that bad to work on!
Olyeller
they are not difficult at all to work on -- at least Stihl's implementation is not. perhaps other manufacturers do it differently. but the 021/MS210 and similar saws are a snap to take apart and reassemble. if they were difficult to assemble, the design engineers would have been taken out and shot by the manufacturing engineers tasked with building them quickly using the least labor and least capital equipment.

jim aka the wrooster

Crappery!

I love reading these threads....

Basically according to some there are only two about 4 saws that are worth having.
true the ms and predecessor models were a little more tricky work on, but that doesn't make them cr*p. Best to keep things in perspective, right tool for the right job.... on it goes..

The fact is all of it ultimatly depends on the person using the tool- I am super fit and immensely strong that I could outcut and process the same tree with my swiss army penknife and an axe than a chubby chainsaw chump using a 372xp or the like.

Secondly, I have repaired and rebuilt chainsaws in my sleep including the 'homeowner' stihl models, in fact I repaired one a few months ago whilst I was painting my last major watercolour commission for a multimiilionaire art collector.

Truth be told I buy a chainsaw to use, not spend endless hours tinkering with in a workshop.

to summarise any chainsaw is complete toilet in a the hands of a fool.

wood for trees or something anyway...

true the ms and predecessor models were a little more tricky work on, but that doesn't make them cr*p. Best to keep things in perspective, right tool for the right job.... on it goes..
true, this.

Truth be told I buy a chainsaw to use, not spend endless hours tinkering with in a workshop.
BAN HIM! he's a witch! :eek:

jim aka the wrooster

Back