Nick Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grateful11

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone used or seen one of these? They seem too cheap to be much of a grinder but for those of us who only need to use one occasionally, would it do to remove those really bad nicks from maybe a rock or nail hit? I prefer to file but sometimes it would be nice to grind a chain or 2.
Grateful
Nick Grinder for $90

I seen these offered in the Harbor Freight catalog for over a year now,also on E bay.I am not familiar with the quality level of this unit nor do I know of anyone who has one.If this unit has a warrenty and could be purchased locally ,it might be worth a try.Wish I could help more

Check out what quality/type of discs it uses and whether it is a wierd size arbor. If they use proprietary discs, it probably isn't such a good deal. Better off getting a grinder with standard size discs.

A lot of the guys on the yahoo milling group have purchased Nick the grinder. For the most part I've heard it works pretty good considering the cost.

There was a good discussion about them a couple weeks ago.

Jonathan
Fairbanks, AK

sharpener nick

got one just last night had a friend in okc pick it up for 90 bucks the hf in tulsa wanted 149.
I checked it out seeems like it will do what i ask of it.
it takes a stone with a 7/8 arbor about 4 and1/8 wide but plan on using sets of cut off wheels 4's or 41/2 on it.
thing is its not your usual junk hf china stuff this is actually made in italy one year warranty

This Nick The Grinder looks like a good deal for the price,I have been thinking about purchasing one myself but I would like to get some more info on it before I do,and so far I have'nt found very much.I read all of the threads on the Yahoo milling board already.I would like to know what angles can it grind like 0-35* also if the vise tilts 10 degrees for sharpening chisel chain,also if any of you own one how do you like it?I hand file everything but I just want something so I can straighten out a chain if it gets rocked etc..

Thanks

0-35 degrees although you can turn it farther.
don't understand about 10 degree but you can probably loosen up the angle ajuster and just shim one side?or elongnate holes in deal that holds the chain to ten degrees?

this sharpener works for rip or cross cut just fine
guy in town will sharpen them all blue 4 you and usually will cut off 3/4 of your chain and clears gullets way to far.
if he makes chain either they are to tight or I have had them come apart so now I make my own,bought the maker breaker and 4 100 ft rolls of chain and some 25's in 3/8 and .325
I have always filed unless i rock chain now i can sharpen to

When I said 10 degrees I mean it like when filing LG by hand you need to hold the file handle down that 10 degrees..I'm in the same boat I file everything by hand but would like to have something to fix rocked chains etc..I'm pretty sure to get the 10* tilt usually the vise adjusts to it but I'm not sure maybe someone could clarify this for me..

Thanks Rob.

Latest posts

Back