Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a peek at the IPL's.

That spike that Arcornhill has is the standard spike on the 6900, 7700 and 8500, 530025954 The old spike which is on the 4200 & 5200, 530022112 is optional on those saws and standard on the 4900.
The old spike that the 4200 & 5200 shows on all of the 6900, 7700 and 8500 IPL's as well so I gues they interchange just fine.

Sounds somewhat convoluted. but they all interchange.
The good news is that Poulan shows 530025954 as still available for $13.26

i may have to investigate, i wonder what the package looks like? i wonder if it is in the retro poulan package?

P.S. that dagger looks gigantic on my 4200 :rock:

Here is that spike on my 8500.

The saws it is listed for all have a different handle then the others as its round on the bottom and sets the saw up higher, and thats why the spike is different then for the older ones.

attachment.php

I see that spike packaging sez it will fit a 6900/7700/8500. If it will also fit a 4900 or 5200 I'm interested in it. PM me if you're of a mind to part with it.

Hiya J. You have my attention with that dirty 4000. PM me if you decide to divest yourself of it. I'm sure you'll get more than a few PM's regarding your 'dust collecting' 4200 and 5200.:D

John that's a local saw. Don't think it was ever in Ohio. Seen more than a few of this series with melted covers (mostly on ebay). Seems that they often leak at the joint where the two muffler halves fit together. On mine, the halves weren't seated correctly. Somebody didn't put it together right. Not sure if that's what happened with the other saws. When I got the saw it had a large 'wart' where the exhaust had just started to melt all the way through the cover. I cut said 'wart' off and tried to clean it up as much as possible. Got a new cover on order through my Husky dealer. Was only $7 or so...

photobucket-38685-1354492626045.jpg

Here's the 'wart' before I trimmed it off. This was taken right after I got home with the saw (bought from a local CL seller).

photobucket-38685-1355115822492.jpg

In this pic you can see how the cover is seated too deep on the clutch side, and not seated at all on the FW side. You can also see where the case portion above the oil fill is charred/stained by the leaking exhaust.

It was a joke Aaron...two of the ones I had had the holes in the top cover. The one I have now does not. Just opened up the muffler on it tonight as a matter of fact and I can assure you that mine is seated correctly...;)

Here is that spike on my 8500.

The saws it is listed for all have a different handle then the others as its round on the bottom and sets the saw up higher, and thats why the spike is different then for the older ones.

attachment.php

You can tell I am getting old...When I sit oogle at that 8500 picture the way i used to look at a pretty lady......:msp_blushing:sigh......Nice looking saw Mark.

My first Poulan other than a Crapsman, my first saw with a full wrap handlebar, and my first sandcast!...

Congrats on the Model 36 :msp_thumbup:. OOC, what "Crapsman" do you own?

So i raced a stock 346 xp yesterday and i won is it a surprise? used my craftsman 50cc with a razor sharp super 70 chain i couldn't believe it and neither could the die hard husky fan :cool2:

not sure if it matters but the first bought it when it came it came out so it had some wear on it.

As others have asked, what saw were you using? If it's one of the newer strato models, the "wear" certainly did help.

Here is that spike on my 8500....

Mark, that 8500 looks great. Is that a chainbrake I'm seeing or just a handguard? My CRS isn't letting me recall what you previously posted about the saw.

You can tell I am getting old...When I sit oogle at that 8500 picture the way i used to look at a pretty lady......:msp_blushing:sigh......Nice looking saw Mark.

When my wife sees me on AS she asks, "Are you looking at pictures of naked chainsaws again?"

Outrunning a 346 is always a good feeling.
Some of the old 50cc Poulans are hard to beat with even the newer saws.
It might not come out the same next time.
Savor it!!!

Mike

It is not a old saw its just a poulan pro PP5020AV in black plastic i bought at sears back in November 2012. I tuned the carb and the muffler has been modded, I was really hoping my wild thing would beat it but that is a wet dream that would never come true. :msp_biggrin:
sporting a 16 inch Oregon power match K095 with a loop of D60 Oregon 72L6X chain

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey Cmarti, You should try and get to a GTG, preferably one with a whole lot of Poulan beauties.:msp_wub: You can ogle, handle, drool over, and take them for a spin! In fact, most guys encourage you to take their beauties in your hands and try them out. (saws) were talkin here that is.:msp_wink: I know I am very anxious to try out Mark's (nearly new as you can get) 8500. Although, he will probably have to wipe the slobber off of it afterwards.:redface:

:cheers:
Gregg,

The 'mostly black' paint scheme on those later Counter Vibes (both the 8500 and the later 3400/700/3800/4000 saws) really makes them look sharp.

whats a good high side rpm for a pp336 54cc?

My PP330 has "Max RPM 13800" printed on the AF cover. I like to tune by ear still though. 13,800 is pretty dang high. I'm gonna have to borrow my bud's tachometer to set my saw even close to that....

Congrats on the Model 36 :msp_thumbup:. OOC, what "Crapsman" do you own?

I have a couple of the 42cc vibrators that I bought(used) for doing nasty, dirty jobs. To be fair, they have taken what I've thrown at them, and continue to run. I'm not a fan of plastic saws, so that Model 31 is a complete change. Its pretty hard to pass up a running saw when you can buy it for the price of an inexpensive B&C.

That 8500 is impressive looking, but I"ve never seen many Poulans at all other than the plastic clamshells. Homelite was the brand of choice in my home area when I was growing up.

When my wife sees me on AS she asks, "Are you looking at pictures of naked chainsaws again?"

Chainsaw pron I love it.:clap:

The 'mostly black' paint scheme on those later Counter Vibes (both the 8500 and the later 3400/700/3800/4000 saws) really makes them look sharp.

My PP330 has "Max RPM 13800" printed on the AF cover. I like to tune by ear still though. 13,800 is pretty dang high. I'm gonna have to borrow my bud's tachometer to set my saw even close to that....

I agree Aaron, The addition of more black on the later models looks much better. Rather than all green, the black adds to the contrast, I guess. Making the green look even better. :) Here is my later 4000, that I work the daylights out of by the way. I have my ModifiedMark muffler on this one also.

4000Pics009.jpg

I cropped a pic from my PP380. (60cc) The max rpm on the sticker on it is 13,500. I don't know if its the same on the 54cc versions or not.

PP380012_zpsd73e11ed.jpg

Gregg,

I cropped a pic from my PP380. (60cc) The max rpm on the sticker on it is 13,500. I don't know if its the same on the 54cc versions or not.

PP380012_zpsd73e11ed.jpg

Gregg,

After seeing that Gregg I just had to go look at my 380's. Two have a 13,800 decal and one has no decal. All the 330's I have seen are 13,800. One thing I have noticed on yours is it must be a real early model as yours has a different clutch cover decal that I have never seen before on any 380 and that yours has the 13,500 decal.

my latest haul.

Photo0737_zps4e679b41.jpg

This here is a stack of green, black and yellow plasti saws, the craftsman, poulan pro, and predator are all strato saws and looks like most body parts will interchange, I have enough here to make 1 runner and one close runner missing body parts, the other two are poulan wood sharks one is a runner and was missing the oilier so I got the other one for the oilier.

Photo0735_zps8920afec.jpg

This stack of green includes a 3400 which has promise since I have a couple around here in different colors to make one runner, a 306A which I grabbed for the reed block so I can send it to another member, a 5200, which was froze up but I got it free and no internal damage, may even be a runner some day, and last but not least a 8500 case that is missing a bunch but still had a fair amount of stuff on it for me to spend the $4.

There was more saws but they were of the orange and orange and white, and one yellow.

I agree Aaron, The addition of more black on the later models looks much better. Rather than all green, the black adds to the contrast, I guess. Making the green look even better. :) Here is my later 4000, that I work the daylights out of by the way. I have my ModifiedMark muffler on this one also.

4000Pics009.jpg

PP380012_zpsd73e11ed.jpg

Gregg,

My "Super" 330 is 4 strokin nicely at 14,800 and if I set it at the recommended 13,800 it is really blubbering and won't cut at all. I have set it as high as 15,200 but it only had a hint and I really wasn't comfortable with it that high.....GREAT looking saws there Gregg.

After seeing that Gregg I just had to go look at my 380's. Two have a 13,800 decal and one has no decal. All the 330's I have seen are 13,800. One thing I have noticed on yours is it must be a real early model as yours has a different clutch cover decal that I have never seen before on any 380 and that yours has the 13,500 decal.

S-P, This is what the clutch decal looked like when I got it.:mad: Wasn't much to go on.

380right_zps2655c041.jpg

I tried to make one. This is what I ended up with. Didn't print very well. Plus its a lousy :mad: pic. But it was at least better than none..

PP380011-1_zpsb714507c.jpg

I couldn't say what rpm's its turning. Don't own a tach. Just tune it best I can, and cut wood..:msp_biggrin:

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back