Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I be waitin' for warm weather....

that isn't my barn, it is my neighbors, We built the red 30x40 2 stories tall a couple years ago. I hauled some wood for him. He is building a 24 x 80 x 14 foot tall corn crib/storage shed framed with rough saws white oak and ash. The sides walls are sided with 5/4 white oak with the edges beveled 45 degrees. There is a lot of heavy wood in this barn. I dug the footings and spread the sand for the floor for both of these this projectsView attachment 322703 . Lots of fun playing with excavators and bobcats. My neighbor is Amish so what you see here is one days work. We had about 16 Amish guys and I kept busy chasing additional wood. We had a very good lunch. View attachment 322701 View attachment 322702

If'n you get workin' as hard as some O' them chaps, it is never too cold.

Worked putting up metal buildings in the fox valley/green bay when I was a stud (25+years back)

I would be down to my union suit and bibs after a half hour!

Sure was hard to get warmed back up after lunch though.

I was surprised i got it also, after wagnerworks said the 4000 was worth double the 3.8 craftsman, I figured the 8500 should be worthy of double the 4000? Maybe its not that good, but i guess I will find out. Never hurts to ask. At this point I plan on tearing it down & will make a piece to weld in the case. May not work, but it might. The only critical thing i will need to setup is the coil gap, & i may have to tap the muffler in some. I just thought I would look a little before welding it. I will need to a lot more info on this thing as i have never worked on one.

Attachments

• 8500-CASE.jpg
    8500-CASE.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 16
That would be great, Kevin. I suspect they would be the same. Mine has to have the idle so low that it stalls, in order to keep it from spinning. It's a fantastic running saw, complete with chain brake, and I'd like to make it safe to use.

If it looks like this clutch I just pulled off ebay with the split drum, it is different then the s25 one I have. But I had a saw that took that clutch and switched it right over to a newer micro 2300 200 clutch.

Going to pm you pic of ebay clutch.

Brad if it is like the one in the 2 pics I sent you. I will pull the spring from a different clutch and give you. That type clutch is different then S25DA one. I would update it to the newer micro clutch like I did on a 2.0.

Brad I have one from a low hour S25DA I am parting out instead of restoring. I have no clue if the same or not.

The clutch drum diameter, clutch shoe width, crank thread pitch, and such is all the same between an S25DA and an S25-CVA. May be a different clutch style, but you should be able to swap the complete hub/shoes/springs assembly over. It is NOT the same between the XXV and Micro families. I really wish Poulan had not used "XXV" and "25" in the model names of both saw families. Causes boatloads of confusion.

I find some pics of my saw.

IMG_0128-L.jpg

IMG_0042-L.jpg

IMG_0041-L.jpg

Aaron what does Brad have older or newer micro style? super xxv cva on feebay looks like newer stuff. But I have no clue on these things.

Oh made you a 2100 homie ;)

Thanks Kevin!

If it's the saw that Brad put Stihl 63PS3 on and shot a video of, it's not a Micro at all. It's a S25-CVA. Basically the same saw as that S25DA that you just parted out..............but with the AV mounts. Not at all related to the Micros that have similar badging (Super XXV CVA, etc).

photobucket-6090-1347849755127.jpg

One of my S25-CVA's on the left. Brad's saw should be like that one. My Craftsman 2.1A branded 25DA to the right of it.

PoulanXXV007.jpg

$(KGrHqYOKp0FIpQ,5db)BSNJviMhWg~~60_35.JPG

Micro XXV CVA images taken from a google search. Totally different saw, despite similar badging and a similar look.

Looks like Brad was a shade faster than me. There's the saw. I've gotta get one of those chainbrake clutch covers for one of my S25-CVA's.

Brad do you still have that video of your saw with the 63PS3 chain?

i dont have the piece so i will have to fab something up & tig weld it on
If you have a Tig welder then weld it yourself. I would also cut a piece from an old part from another saw and use it to fix your 8500. Here is one I just finished.

026.JPG

This after.

001.JPG

This is another area on the same clutch cover that I worked on.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Last edited:
Back