Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I held the new 3/8-7-9 rim in my hand and tried each NEW chain by letting it hang down. They do both lay on the rim and conform to the curve. The 3/8 lp is very sloppy and slides a LOT before the pins restrain the chain driver. The regular 3/8 driver is MUCH more conforming to the length of the slot between the pins. The sloppy slot is what initially caused me a year ago to look into the suitability of the 3/8-7-9 rim on the 25 series saws. IMO it is not for 3/8LP at all.
I now use 1/4 with either a rim or spur and hardnose bar. I can swap the drum to use the spur with 3/8LP with the same bar.

That's weird. Both the chains in my pictures are new. There's no trick photography, that's the way it fits. The standard 3/8 does NOT fit the 3/8-7-9 sprocket. H48 is standard 3/8 chain. Why would they make a 3/8 standard pitch for these small saws?

So can the 3/8 x 7x9 be for regular 3/8 for the S25? You can surely run regular 3/8 on a S25 correct?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I agree with Dynodave, the 3/8 standard is too much for that saw. If you had to, the old 76LG chain might help.

I will try the same tonight, I have rolls of each as well as both sprockets to check. I am still thinking a power Sharp variant of the S25, the clutch cover is deeper on those

That's weird. Both the chains in my pictures are new. There's no trick photography, that's the way it fits. The standard 3/8 does NOT fit the 3/8-7-9 sprocket. H48 is standard 3/8 chain. Why would they make a 3/8 standard pitch for these small saws?

This discusses 1/4" PS chain on 2.1PS craftsman (like my saw 358.350950)...which was a power sharp originally
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/power-sharp-chain-1-4-pitch.54453/

Std 3/8 rim application may have been the husky22, not much data available, so I can't verify.
However I found this on the sears site???
REPLACEMENT CHAIN, 3/8" PITCH, BARRACUDA, TYPE 91 TS, 53 LINKS (MODEL 358.350950 - CRAFTSMAN 2.1 PS)

Hi all, been lurking quite a while trying to absorb all the good information available on this forum. Was cutting a bit of wood today and decided to take a few pics and a video of a craftsman 3.7 thin ring that I picked up from craigs list a month ago for $25 dollars and am impressed with it's performance after a carb rebuild and muffler mod.

View attachment 483665 View attachment 483668 View attachment 483666 View attachment 483667

Nice saw, well worth the $25! Welcome to AS and the Poulan gang!

I have some of those brand new rim setups for the 25 saws. Honestly I never paid much attention to them. I have no use for them. I do remember different sprockets needing different washer setups but that might have been on the Oregon replacements?

Back at the time I was working at the Poulan dealer in 78 we were switching everything out to 3/8's lp with 6 tooth spurs as that was and is the best all around setup on those.

The LP chain is to me a much better option then 1/4". It pulls much easier with less cutters and is less time consuming to sharpen as well.

The 7 tooth LP rim sprocket is ok for limbing but saps some power when cutting 16" hardwood.

Like usual it comes down to personal needs and expectations.

If someone want's any of these rim setups, let me know and I'll double check what I have here.

Here you go, LP does not fit the 7x9. This is regular 3/8, the Picco chain fits very loose in the groove.
d13241a7b9b1f7b3d0c1fe3469fe2690.jpg

One of these days I'll get one of my s25 series saws put together and running.
I bought what appeared to be a clean one on craftsman red. Ended up having a toasted top end. Now I have a pile of parts saws. Just gotta get one put together.

Here you go, LP does not fit the 7x9. This is regular 3/8, the Picco chain fits very loose in the groove.
d13241a7b9b1f7b3d0c1fe3469fe2690.jpg

I'm not so sure about that, even with your picture. I have one of those here and like I said, I have little interest in them but to refresh my memory I went and looked it over.

One brand of 3/8 chain I tried on it, looked about like the picture your showing but it was obvious that the bottom of the drive links themselves were riding on the sprocket. They ain't suppose to do that. I tried another brand of 3/8 chain and the tie straps and cutters were not even touching the OD of the sprocket as only the drive links were riding on the sprocket.

A 3/8lp chain fit perfect in it.

I'm 100 percent certain these were never intended to run full 3/8 chain, I think I would remember that and even if it would work, that 7 tooth sprocket is way too much gear to run on these saws. Far as I'm concerned in most case's its too much with 3/8 lp as well.

Poulan never even made a rim drive setup for these as far as I can remember, it was probably only Oregon who did.

The only thing these were useful for as far as I'm concerned is with 1/4 chain but even then a 8 tooth would be better most the time, strange that all the 1/4 spurs I have are 9 tooth, I thought they had 8's as well...

I think the 3/8-7-9 rim was originally for the husky22 application. Tough to find much info on this...It could possibly be used on the 25 series ( I would think it has the balz-OK) but the bar tail D041 profile? hard nose bar... seems a bit narrow, but I'm no expert in this or most chainsaw areas.. I ended up pursuing 1/4 as my preferred setup for the smaller craftsman 2.1PS with lower HP..... 3/8 cutter would possibly work with rakers that are not agressive?:chainsaw::cheers:

What is a Husky 22? I don't think I know what model that is.

I know they had a model 23 but that was based on the Micro saw and don't remember a rim drive setup ever available for those.

Has anyone noticed the difference in Poulan 25 series drums? I have 19779 rim drums that are 1" wide and the same number that are .9" wide. Did they change clutch widths at some time? The oldest boxes are the widest drums. A couple are set up with 3/8LP-7 rims and most have 1/4-9 rims. One box is labeled 23115 / 19779.

If you noticed both of those Oregon rim drive setups use the 19779 drum. The 23115 part number was to denote that it used the 7 tooth 3/8 lp rim.

And like Randy said you have to use that extra washer when using those drums.

I had a green Sears 2.3 that had a 3/8" rim. It had 3/8lp chain, the saw was toast but I kept the rim set up cause I thought it was cool. I put it on one of my counter vibe 25s and I did not like it. The top of the case makes it hard to get the drivers on the rim. I'm sure I could have gotten used to it but I really think the spur is the best set up.
I also think I came across a 25 with a fixed rim

I want to say the Husky 22 was a white coloured saw made by Trail Manufacturing Ltd. over in Trail, BC. If that may be the case, perhaps those drums fit the 101 series (Frontier - Mark I's etc.) and all the rebrands? Got a couple or three kicking around.
Ugh I see them from time to time. I politely pass along with ropers, mini macs, super 2s, 031/032, and the 5 series jreds
Others too. I'm picky

I want to say the Husky 22 was a white coloured saw made by Trail Manufacturing Ltd. over in Trail, BC. If that may be the case, perhaps those drums fit the 101 series (Frontier - Mark I's etc.) and all the rebrands? Got a couple or three kicking around.

Ahh, thats right Corey . I forgot about those little less things.

I think the clutch drum on those were a different size. I still have one of those saws badged as a Partner but I think any other parts got ****canned a long time ago.

Latest posts

Back