Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the saw. 1979 with early chain brake. Ignition proved faulty with both a broken high tension wire and coil. I put a coil off of a micro on it and extended the wire. I ground the radius of the armature leg to better match the flywheel. The mounting holes needed to be enlarged. Works well.

The HDB seems to like a richer than I am accustomed to setting at almost 1 1/2 turns out. Whereas the the H is sitting at about 7/8. It is a finicky carb, so I may be on the hunt for another.

I also burnt the flocking off of a air filter and glued some thin fabric felt around the perimeter of the wire cage. I used another filter to press fit it in place and used spray adhesive to saturate the felt from the wire side. I kept the saturation confined to the the rim of the filter. I periodically used a pair of pliers to insist the felt stay impregnated into the wire/glue as I worked on the rest of the saw. Bonus is it has residual tack and holds seals well on the saw. About $0.10 of felt and a bit of adhesive. We'll see.

Interesting to note, this unit does not have the manual adjust oil pump. I know they were short-lived and early.

Poulan 3400  (3) 2.jpg Poulan 3400  (6) 2.jpg Poulan 3400  (5) 2.jpg Poulan 3400  (9) 2.jpg

Since Walbro has taken upon themselves to change their carb kits to "ethanol friendly" & used either the new tan Teflon/fiberglass or crappy blue plastic acetate fuel pumps in most of their kits, I had to go back to some old Walbro IPLs to dig these nitrile diaphragms up. Still available & I ordered ten of each for economics.

These are the part numbers for the nitrile Walbro WJ (top in pic) and WAT fuel pump diaphragms. I didn't search for the SDC or HDB nitriles, as some of those old kits with them are still around.

My Sti$@ 056 magnums all use the WJ series carbs, like a lot of big Poulans, and they don't idle well at all with the tan ones.

The carbs' jets were originally calibrated for the old style rubber nitrile material, and you can sure tell the difference at idle, but not so much at WOT. The metering side is still made from the same material, wonder why?

Tillotson HS series does not seem to have this issue with their kits...go figure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 26
71fd3d1e004b39a90bdd7ea31de4fe9a.jpg

She measured 6' across and took awhile to get her down, lightning had hit it, oak smelt good while cutting it.

Steve

Working on a 3700 that is very hard to start. Checked carb and found that the saw still runs with the Lo speed needle closed. Never experienced this before. Any ideas? Wonder if carb is shot. Carb is Walbro Hd 18
Bob

Now for a large bar ? D007 is hard to find in .058 3/8 Found in this site years back (Google) Homelite D096 or D196 or
Husqvarna D009 large mount will line up with no modification needed . I have found 5 sellers on ebay 3/8 063
now if I change drive sprocket to 404 I need to buy 2 bars but have found lots of them. I would like to stay 3/8 for now. I wanted this as a felling saw 3 or 4 big trees a year . Not sure of any advantage in moving up to 404

finally got to a craftsman 2.1 ive had for couple years; says its a 2.1 but has auto oiler which works. just finished cleaning up the saw. it had likely never been cleaned. some of the cake was hard. no gaps anywhere except where moving parts are. doesn't look new but looks happier.
cleaned, filed, and gapped points, rebuilt carb, and installed new fuel lines and plugs. coil tested "open" but was able to get one from a helpful member. started this thing but it stutters at WOT. had this same problem with a C5 that was cured with a "new" coil. anything else yall can think of?

Back