Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya i did a 3700 earlier this week with two 6119s they worked perfect, i cut up a soda can rolled it into a taper, put the big end down in the bore started the seal on the small end i always put a little Vaseline on the lips then slid it down the tapered can and onto the shaft when it was against the bore i slowly pulled the can out and drove the seal in... it worked great.

Im glad the 360 seal was figured out i was racking my brain. I was thinking i got a .625 shaft the seal number says .563 thats basically .060 so .030 per side theres no way it's gonna stretch that far!! :confused: thats bc it wont lol.

Im glad the 360 seal was figured out i was racking my brain. I was thinking i got a .625 shaft the seal number says .563 thats basically .060 so .030 per side theres no way it's gonna stretch that far!! :confused: thats bc it wont lol.

Dont feel bad, I got a couple of those seals that I can't use as well. No biggie, they were only a couple bucks and I'll just put them in the seal box of other odd seals that I have. They maybe correct for something else down the road..

Hi y'all,

Picked up my first Poulan the other day. It's a 2350 and it's in good condition. Good compression, clean inside the tank, fuel lines and carb were spotless, not much use on bar or chain, and it's Canadian made. It cost $30 AUD, and it doesn't need a cent spent on it: sound like a good price for one of these? Anyone owned one before?

I made some cuts yesterday and it's pretty angry for a 38cc saw. I get the impression it doesn't have many hours on it, so it may well become my go-to camping saw.

Cheers guys, Seasons Greetings to you and yours.DSC_4385.JPG DSC_4388.JPG DSC_4390.JPG

I did some more precise measuring and the 6120 is correct nominal 7/8 od, 5/8 shaft its 3/16 wide but theres ample room for width, hell of it is i gotta pay shipping so 5 dollar seal will 15 by the time i get it to me. Thanks for helping me out.

Screw that, I draw the line at a local place charging me shipping to get something into their business to sell me unless its a rush order. That is a very big reason why I will not mess with Stihl chainsaws.

If I have to pay shipping for anything, it will be delivered to my house. In general I'm not going to pay shipping for something then have to turn around and have to take my time and pay gas to go pick the damn thing up.

Here is the place we get seals and bearings from.

http://www.bearing-service.com/index.html

I'm lucky that there Chicago area is covered from there Griffith IN store. It is only about 2 miles out of my way on the way home from work most the time. If I'm not working in that area, Chris will sometimes pick them up from there on his way.

They will ship, I have had them do that before and shipping is reasonable.

They are very helpfull and good with helping identify what I need from measurements and priced very fair.

I agree with the stihl parts, they make there stuff proprietary so you got no choice but to buy from them ive been finding out poulan is making there stuff nominal sizes so it can still be gotten. I like this idea

You working on a 3400-4000?
That's the one. I believe it was used briefly in GM TH125 transmission which was produced for a year or two. Replaced by the TH125C which was produced for many years. Tim, correct me on this, the national brand seals are harder to install. They like to snag an edge during install and distort. I buy three when I need two. so far it's been 50% failure installing them. I've been taking a knife edge to chamfer the leading edge of the seal bore. That seems to help. Gonna install some tomorrow. We'll see how my luck is.

The Timken (Timken used to distribute National seals made by Federal Mogul and have purchased that entity from FM) 253747 seals tend to mic about 0.002" greater in diameter than the SKF seals.

Not sure if heating the case pocket with a heat gun would help there or not.

I think I wrecked one 253747 putting it in but installing seals is not a strong suit for me. Clutz. I find it's always a good idea just to swap the seals out on old saws as 30+ year old rubber parts are always suspect and could fail at any time. The tough ones are the hard to find seals.

I was worried about seals but if i can get ones for a 360 it should cover everything i have 4200-8500 are all still available as well as 3400-4000 the only ones i may have issue with is my model 71 but it dont get out much as its super nice.

I was worried about seals but if i can get ones for a 360 it should cover everything i have 4200-8500 are all still available as well as 3400-4000 the only ones i may have issue with is my model 71 but it dont get out much as its super nice.

71 seals are easy to get..

PTO side SKF 6105 and you need 2
FW side Dichtomatic 068091VM

Think that was the Manuel shift shaft seal, replaced a few of those. Co-worker bought a tool to remove and install those. Made r&r a lot easier back then.

Steve
The seal is an oil pump shaft seal. The seal was integrated into the bearing a year or two of production. I've rebuilt a few.

Merry Christmas Pete. This is the only thread I follow over here after the "Christmas Massacre" last year. Good guys in this thread too.

+1 on good guys here. merry xmas poulan fans.

pics? just got this. merry xmas from a hawger, believe its a 71. was thought to be 53, but bore says different. 2 3/16.

starts one pull cold, sounds good & loud. gonna test ride it today.

IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1308.JPG

Latest posts

Back