Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes we win and sometimes we need to repair to win, will be like new once rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the easiest saws to work on so no big deal at all. I think this will be my 4th one split for one reason or another.

Is that rag a strainer?

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Just a piece of paper towel to soak the bar oil up.

Looks good inside, how are the brass thrust washers wearing?

Where's the bar oil pickup & tubing hiding?

View attachment 603677

Thrust washers look good. The oil pick up tube fell out. The press in fitting is loose for whatever reason. I stuck it back in with some MotoSeal and hopefully that will hold it. It oils very well. Like one of the best oilers I have in that series.

I have a nice orange Canadian version 4000 that needs thrust washers. I have the washers but that saw is a few down the line.

orange 4000 A.JPG

Looks good inside, how are the brass thrust washers wearing?

Where's the bar oil pickup & tubing hiding?

View attachment 603677

The Motoseal was a fail. I found a piece of shrink tubing that stuck the oil pick up fitting in the pump good and tight.

I did find traces of what looked like household silicone caulking at the rear of the case

Does anyone know if the little red barn 4000 piston kit has bearings with it? Has anyone used it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think steve bought one for a 3400 and it wasn't plated. The wrist pin wasn't a press fit either so you could expect that. I think he used the old wrist pin and maybe bearings. Shows they aren't paying attention to detail but maybe the 4000 piston would be better.
He may show up to tell you.
@s sidewall

It came with both bearings, wrist pin and circlips. Wrist pin was too small and the bearings were sized for it. Had to re-use old bearings and pin, also had to stake bearings into piston so they wouldn't slide out. Yep, I got screwed all around on that. Best find new old stock to have a piece of mind. If the piston had been plated, not polished it, would still be going.

Wished I knew, when I first contacted them it was about the bearings and wrist pin size, said they would look into it and get back in touch with me, don't hold your breath on that.

Back