Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to check it this weekend, I have a pump pulled out of my spare case, I can check it. The one I'm running seems to be ok, just need to pull it and check the check valves to see if I have one sticking. Not oiling like it was back in the summer and I have to pause between each time I use the manual oiler or it won't pump.

Steve

Here is a link to how I have rebuilt the 3400-4000 impulse oil pumps. Others have experience here and might chime in. The material I purchased has a nominal thickness of 0.015"- 0.017". Nylon insert nitrile. I have found the pumps get stronger as the material gets worked in a bit. They will spray a healthy line when all is clear from the bar pad to the rail.

Poulan thread

Here is a link to how I have rebuilt the 3400-4000 impulse oil pumps. Others have experience here and might chime in. The material I purchased has a nominal thickness of 0.015"- 0.017". Nylon insert nitrile. I have found the pumps get stronger as the material gets worked in a bit. They will spray a healthy line when all is clear from the bar pad to the rail.

Poulan thread
Yea, I've had the same experience. Oil output seems to increase after the rebuild. Or, is it similar to how nice your truck rides after its washed!!!!

Wow, the fix is that good, like a wash job. Makes me want to do all the saws, well the 3 that I have. Should be fun. Still not finding any info on paint

Green paint? Mopar sublime is your closest March, most automotive paint shops will mix and put in a rattle can for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:dizzy:
I’ve seen it all now, as I pulled another 3.8 Craftsman jug to clean up the exhaust port & bore, and found a 3.4 sized ring in the lower groove... WTF?

The top ring was correct.

First clue was that the ring was very hard to get off. I've probably pulled 500 rings from pistons over the years & this one takes the prize!

Had over a quarter inch end gap in the 3.8 bore & barely would cling to the walls. I never had run this saw, nor checked compression before tearing it down.

Pic shows the two rings lined up at the bottom when stacked, with the 3800 ring on the bottom.

39963D6B-C185-45DD-8971-EEFDDCA94553.jpeg

I’ve seen it all now, as I pulled another 3.8 Craftsman jug to clean up the exhaust port & bore, and found a 3.4 sized ring in the lower groove... WTF?

First clue was that the ring was very hard to get off. I've probably pulled 500 rings from pistons over the years & this one takes the prize!

Had over a quarter inch end gap in the 3.8 bore & barely would cling to the walls. I never had run this saw, nor checked compression before tearing it down.

Pic shows the two rings lined up at the bottom when stacked, with the 3800 ring on the bottom.

View attachment 627855

Wow. Do you think it was done by a previous owner or a factory defect.

View attachment 627855
I believe I have a ring or possibly two for a 3800. Let me know

That 3800 top end had never been off, as far as I could tell. The saw was carboned up bad & filthy under all the covers, much worse than the one I fixed 2 weeks ago. I don't see why people let them get that packed up with ****.

The choke bracket screw hole had been stripped & retapped to #12, & the bracket redrilled, so that had been messed with. The back fin right under the spark plug was broken off from a plug wrench slip.

Would guess that a rotted fuel line & the split plastic carb inlet elbow had put it out of service. Replaced the inlet elbow with a steel one!

Thanks for the offer Bob!, but I’ve got plenty of spare 3800 rings. She’s a very good runner now after a muffler mod & jug gasket delete.

7CC11BF2-B108-4209-B6BD-E4C696336DE9.jpeg

80E6405B-4824-43E9-A85B-1B4846BA94C9.jpeg

Havent seen that yet.
But did see one installed upside down last year.
How he could do that with the pin and ring the way it is made is beyond me.
He must of forced that sucker together. :laughing:

Yep, and I know those folks' motto:

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replaced anyways.":crazy2:

Latest posts

Back