Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been trying to get my Poulan 4000 oil pump working. I posted my issues in a previous thread. I have installed a new diaphragm and gaskets, but now I have a starter pulley problem. In the picture below you can see the plastic is separating. It widens under the strain of pull starting and then binds in the housing and won't retract. Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for this, or do I need to search for another obsolete part?

View attachment 701188

Bugger is that on the 4000? Its a 3700 pulley by the look of it

Yeah, it's the one that was on there when I bought the saw on Craigslist. Maybe it was replaced at some point by one from a different model. It does look different than the one pictured in the 4000 service manual.

Yea that's 3 I've seen so far in the last 2 or 3 months. 1 day someone mite find a simple enough conversion off a common saw I bet there's something. I'm thinking make up a drive plate with a nut in the centre off the flywheel and a hole in the housing for a drill if I really really get stuck in the future

Thanks for the ebay link Jethro, The part on that pulley that engages the flywheel pawls is different than the one on my saw. Do you think the ebay one is correct for my 4000 and will engage the flywheel properly? Also, I just went to the hardware store and got some Devcon plastic weld epoxy . I am trying to cement it back together with it. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try anyway.

4000 Pulley.jpg

You can kind of see it in the last picture I just posted. I don't know what make or model this pulley is but it worked on my 4000, at least until it started coming apart. I'll get a picture of the flywheel and post it.

4000 pulley
77a4b4e47d8a1aff0f838a3af6ed4493.jpg

Steve

Latest posts

Back