Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this look like a standard round file cut or something else. Looks like it was done with a flat file. Never seen a chain sharped like this around my parts.
d6097e09ab9ed3947b67fdb96a343ef7.jpg
7af366486242456fbc6fc82cd054b116.jpg
28fa0142311bab98f37df6d85bdc0404.jpg
3df7077c4cf7702f0b020b2b0b633aac.jpg
fadfa95eef26e903da8f1d47d8cae526.jpg
740f8cabaf3b483e37f395e7693dcf77.jpg

Steve

Does this look like a standard round file cut or something else. Looks like it was done with a flat file. Never seen a chain sharped like this around my parts.
d6097e09ab9ed3947b67fdb96a343ef7.jpg
7af366486242456fbc6fc82cd054b116.jpg
28fa0142311bab98f37df6d85bdc0404.jpg
3df7077c4cf7702f0b020b2b0b633aac.jpg
fadfa95eef26e903da8f1d47d8cae526.jpg
740f8cabaf3b483e37f395e7693dcf77.jpg

Steve

Needs a good dealing to with a nice fresh file and get some angle back on those poor cutter's. I love it when my friends bring me chains like that as long as they buy me files too.

I also cut all those safety bumpers off too I find over 20 inches they cut a heap better its only 15 minutes work. Never did try bore cutting with that type.

No the old man that had it said it looked bad so he sprayed it green . I’d rather have had it with worn out paint .

Thought it looked too good.

I'll throw it on the chain machine to get the cutter back to where they should be, but I think I'll leave those safety humps on this chain if you know what I mean. My other saws don't have them and one I've knocked the depth rackers down some to see how she cut. It cuts, but you let the chain do all the work and no leaning on the saw, she's got bite.

Steve

Many years ago I went cutting wood with a buddy that thought a flat file was the way to sharpen chain. Took a while before I got him back from the dark side, think it was my 2 logs to his 1 that got him thinking

It amazes me the lack of knowledge out there about sharpening chain it seems the average Joe home owner puts far too much effort into the top plate angle. They struggle away with there guide trying to keep that angle right and nobody has shown them about the side plate and raker hights not the saw shop not anyone. The saw shop guy the other week looked at me odd when I was buying 3 different size files for 3/8 chain. I tried to explain about the side plate angle and he just couldn't get it kinda upset me a bit. Why isn't there a big blown up diagram of a cutter on every homeowner bar cover or something why is it voodoo to so many

It seems they just want ya to bring in ya chains charge ya 10 bucks

I always try to look up my chain on Oregon's web site, and see what the angles are they spec out for the cutter. Most all the time it's three different angles for each part of the cutter, top, side and gully. Then they give the depth racker height, not to hard to get a cutter set correctly, just takes some time to restore one after it's been sharpened incorrectly.

Steve

I always try to look up my chain on Oregon's web site, and see what the angles are they spec out for the cutter. Most all the time it's three different angles for each part of the cutter, top, side and gully. Then they give the depth racker height, not to hard to get a cutter set correctly, just takes some time to restore one after it's been sharpened incorrectly.

Steve

That's a really good idea looking it up

Have another 3400 that breaks up at wot. Switched coils from a known running saw and that fixed it. Need to get another coil. Anyone use these aftermarket coils? Plenty of used oem on eBay but I don’t want to buy something that may not work. Any way to test a coil?

Have another 3400 that breaks up at wot. Switched coils from a known running saw and that fixed it. Need to get another coil. Anyone use these aftermarket coils? Plenty of used oem on eBay but I don’t want to buy something that may not work. Any way to test a coil?
Try testing it like a 9volt battery, you know if it good, bad or weak by the taste on your tongue.

Steve

Latest posts

Back