Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question about a bow bar for one of these poulan 3400/3700 I am working on . I'll be looking for a bow just like the 3400 Steve pictured earlier. Will a poulan bow fit those small studs without one of those S looking adapters that go on the bar studs ?? The reason for the question is because one of these saws I have here has one of those adapters but it also has a Homelite bar of all things.

I jumped ahead and got the other 3400 I have to run . I can see now why you guys like these saws so much .I was told the saw may be a little low on compression but everything else was good , even the auto oiler works. The carb was the biggest problem I found on this saw but I got that fixed . I have read that these saws aren't high compression saws nor are they a high revving saw but I was impressed with how fast and smooth this 3400 cut those oak cookies I tried it on. It ate threw that oak log with that 20 bar buried in the wood and Oregon 's new 72 EXL chain which is a full chisel chain. It didn't slow down one bit midway through the log . I know that chain is aggressive and smooth cutting but the saw behind it impressed me more than the chain.

I had to take a pic of my new baby. Sorry about the crummy lighting in the garage. It was well worth the 2 1/2 hr. drive to pick this saw up and the price was right also. It is one of the cleanest used saws I have come across. I put that new Carlton bar I had for Homelite and J-Red saws along with the Oregon chisel chain but I had to use that adapter to make everything fit.

I'll probably put a bow bar on the other poulan saw I am working on . Any certain type of Poulan bow in particular I should be looking for ??? Will I need that adapter ??? I wouldn't think so myself . Also , it looks like for a bow bar you have to cut the clutch cover to make it fit . Is this correct.

If this other Poulan works out as good as this one I might have a new color saw older saw to collect and use . I have had decent luck with most of the other saw colors making them run except the yellow ones.

DSCN2124.JPG

This is the only one I have a picture of still left on my phone. The inside corners got rounded. I take pictures tomorrow of my other saw.
9e043ae1b6070a4d9c24ad91aa99237f.jpg

Steve Sidwell

Got a question about a bow bar for one of these poulan 3400/3700 I am working on . I'll be looking for a bow just like the 3400 Steve pictured earlier. Will a poulan bow fit those small studs without one of those S looking adapters that go on the bar studs ?? The reason for the question is because one of these saws I have here has one of those adapters but it also has a Homelite bar of all things.

I jumped ahead and got the other 3400 I have to run . I can see now why you guys like these saws so much .I was told the saw may be a little low on compression but everything else was good , even the auto oiler works. The carb was the biggest problem I found on this saw but I got that fixed . I have read that these saws aren't high compression saws nor are they a high revving saw but I was impressed with how fast and smooth this 3400 cut those oak cookies I tried it on. It ate threw that oak log with that 20 bar buried in the wood and Oregon 's new 72 EXL chain which is a full chisel chain. It didn't slow down one bit midway through the log . I know that chain is aggressive and smooth cutting but the saw behind it impressed me more than the chain.

I had to take a pic of my new baby. Sorry about the crummy lighting in the garage. It was well worth the 2 1/2 hr. drive to pick this saw up and the price was right also. It is one of the cleanest used saws I have come across. I put that new Carlton bar I had for Homelite and J-Red saws along with the Oregon chisel chain but I had to use that adapter to make everything fit.

I'll probably put a bow bar on the other poulan saw I am working on . Any certain type of Poulan bow in particular I should be looking for ??? Will I need that adapter ??? I wouldn't think so myself . Also , it looks like for a bow bar you have to cut the clutch cover to make it fit . Is this correct.

If this other Poulan works out as good as this one I might have a new color saw older saw to collect and use . I have had decent luck with most of the other saw colors making them run except the yellow ones.

View attachment 765128

Here is the Poulan bow guide for your saw. Make notice of the dropped lower handle bar mount they used to give extra chain clearance when using a bow. That is a hard part to find now days. If a guy is a handy fabricator/welder, he could modify a stock one to fit.

Attachments

• Poulan Bow Guide.pdf
    811 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back