Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two Poulans on the bay, both 4000, descent prices I think
Item # 264514295978 and 264513154742
Steve Sidwell
Saw them. One seems priced ,to good to be true. If I didn't have three I'd take a chance and jump on it. The bow saw, if you deduct about $110 for the bow, is also priced well. Them ole Poulans don't draw a lot of respect.

I know this has probably already been discussed in this thread before but I guess I just couldn’t find the right combination of words for it to come up through a search. What is the best way to remove the crank seals in a 3400? I did a pressure test and it held over 7 psi no problem. As soon as I try to pull a vacuum on it the gauge immediately drops. I haven’t tried squirting the soapy water on it yet. Just ran out of time and I’ll try that tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s something simple like the cylinder base gasket. It’s currently a gasket that I made but isn’t the best because I don’t have hollow punches to make the bolt holes. I have a new one now that I’m gonna try before anything else. I’m hoping it’s not the seals but wanted to know the best way to remove them regardless. Is it really that common for a saw to hold pressure so well and then be so drastically opposite when pulling a vacuum?

Joseph Huckabaa

It’s the crank seals, but they’re just like any other saw, with dozens & dozens of AS forum threads on how to pull a seal.

I use my Stihl puller, or the 58430 Lisle seal puller; some drill a hole in them & install a sheet rock screw to pull on, some use a screwdriver with the tip end ground as a rough hook, etc.

If I know I’m spitting the cases, then I wait & use a punch from the inside.

I found the info about it again it's a husky 2100 cylinder ported and a built crank and a bunch of other things. Todd probably could has the machining know how to do it c'mon Todd build us some 100cc kits lol

I know the gentleman that built that 3400. He's a machining master. It was quite a project with major crankcase mods and a stroker crank which he did himself.

Not sure who's running it in the vid but it's not the builder.

I know the gentleman that built that 3400. He's a machining master. It was quite a project with major crankcase mods and a stroker crank which he did himself.

Not sure who's running it in the vid but it's not the builder.

I see you on that site Tim:) pretty amazing machine the crank work and even the things he did to the cases to fit the crank and the cylinder it's very impressive and man alive does it cut.

Latest posts

Back