Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the Stihl PS and can still get it made in custom (non Stihl DL counts) from the Stihl Dealer in St Paul. I had a couple loops square ground before the guy I knew sold his Silvey.

I seem to get so many loops of various designs of Oregon low profile chain because every junk saw I get has a loop or two with it so I haven’t needed to buy any LP in years. I am down to my last 62 DL loop and it’s probably down to ten percent cutter so may need one next spring. Philbert was mentioning that you can get full chisel in LP from Archer but I haven’t looked into that yet.

I just made a 62DL PS3 for a echo 400. Local guys saw.
He loves the stuff compared to the semi it came with.

He couldnt believe it when I told him my used poulan A041 fit his echo. :p

Yes on the archer and others now too. Have threads on them. But cost is close to what I buy stihl at in 25'-100' . Couple bucks a loop difference if buying bulk. If price comes down someday I will test them out. But figure will be softer like the other archer.

e400handle.jpg e400han.jpg

I love the Stihl PS and can still get it made in custom (non Stihl DL counts) from the Stihl Dealer in St Paul. I had a couple loops square ground before the guy I knew sold his Silvey.

I seem to get so many loops of various designs of Oregon low profile chain because every junk saw I get has a loop or two with it so I haven’t needed to buy any LP in years. I am down to my last 62 DL loop and it’s probably down to ten percent cutter so may need one next spring. Philbert was mentioning that you can get full chisel in LP from Archer but I haven’t looked into that yet.

I should have mentioned I wasn't including the PS type Picco chain. It's not something thats really common around here. No dealers I know of around here even carry it.

Personally For what I even use a small saw that would use it on, I really don't have much need for it. I do have some and the only place I would use it on might be my CS355T that is mostly used for limbing and never get close to the ground.

As for Archer chain, I bought a little bit of 3/8 Semi Chisel because I needed some .063. Weird chain angles on it and really soft, wouldn't hold a edge and stretched bad. Won't try any more of it

Looks like I may be down to a 2 saw plan for the near future. My Stihl 041 appears to be leaking bar oil out the crank case. It’s gonna have to be split to be repaired.

Good news is my 3700 is still rock solid. Maybe I can keep my eyes open for a second one.

What’s the value of that one ? I have reg bar on mine and not as nice! I be back shortly
Don't get all worked up in the value and just because its old it must be worth a lot. More often then not you will just be disappointed.

The 45, 46 and 51 were the only saws made with this style rear handle and this color. They were not touted as high performance saws, they are actually kind of de-tuned every day farmers/firewood saws. The intake manifold on these were tiny and restrictive, probably to keep the rpms down and the torque up.

I also have a 45, the direct drive version of the 46. I collect these old Poulans so I am looking for the 51. If I did come across one it would have to be complete and pretty decent if I would give $200 for one. At the end of the day, value is determined on these old saws by what someone is willing to give for it.

Hate to have been there when that happened and would have hated to seen his draws.

Told guy he got lucky that the plastic handle broke in both places and didnt break up his crankcase and tank areas.

Took a junk out of the rear flat. But otherwise all was good.

He ended up using another saw to free the one getting smashed.

Do you want to sell the bowed bar in the first picture, looks to be rare one of a kind style. lol

Good site for collector info. Another 46 posted there too.

Link dont work here. Search www. chainsaw collectors .se as one word search for a website.
http://www .chainsaw collectors .se/phpbb3/index.php broke it apart to post

I just saw that as well, missed it the first time LOL. Pretty impressive to not destroy the saw!

Back