Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted a Poulan 3400 vs Poulan 5020 video - put it in the main forum but I figure it should be posted here for Poulan experts/fans.

Let me know what you think - and comment in youtube if you like - trying to get my channel going :)

First off, your the one asking opinions. Second its a pretty worthless video. Why not next time you compare a Apple to a Orange and see what you get.

- IMHO a 24" bar is way too much for a 3400, I mean it's a 56cc,old technonogy saw, a 20"er is the most I want to run on my 65cc Poulan 4000 in hardwood. If you want it to perform put an 18"er on it. Never ran a 5020 but being 50cc's an 18"er is the most I'd run on it too.
Agreed just wanted a larger bar for big logs, a skip chain should help. The 5020 runs the 20" bar ok with a skip chain.

- Did not watch the video but I already know that 5020 would not stand a chance against a 3400.
Better watch part 2 then. But apple to apples I'm sure you are right.

- First off, your the one asking opinions. Second its a pretty worthless video. Why not next time you compare a Apple to a Orange and see what you get.
;) Ouch - you don't hold back. Maybe I'll do an apple and oranges comparo in a future video...... :)

Here is Part 2 -

So haven’t posted in awhile. Last I had posted was having some running issues with the 3800. Well I’ve played around with it some. Switched back to the 50:1 gas mix. Played with carb adjustments and all that and it would continuously do the same thing. Would be good for about 2 cuts and just die and that was it until it sat for about a half hour. I figured fuel lines or vent. Finally tore her down this evening and I have to say from now on I will always tear down a new to me saw before using. Pictures should explain it all. Pretty sure I found my problem. I will ad that last time I messed with it made 1 cut. On the 2nd got half way through and it just revved clear up on it’s own....sat there for a couple seconds and then died.....kind of made me think it was sucking air somewhere. Well pretty sure I proved that thought correct.
7EE19517-CB4A-4C4F-BEA5-322B21AAFB4C.jpeg46561471-319D-4066-B0FC-F83BBE09F7C6.jpegF0A9A196-0533-4688-BD8E-91EA81AC8EAD.jpeg
The 1st picture shows the intake gasket just hanging out not even sitting close to where it should be. The 2nd picture shows only one screw in the intake which was basically out. Other one is MIA. Last picture I didn’t touch anything other than pull the intake off. That’s how the gasket was sitting.

So haven’t posted in awhile. Last I had posted was having some running issues with the 3800. Well I’ve played around with it some. Switched back to the 50:1 gas mix. Played with carb adjustments and all that and it would continuously do the same thing. Would be good for about 2 cuts and just die and that was it until it sat for about a half hour. I figured fuel lines or vent. Finally tore her down this evening and I have to say from now on I will always tear down a new to me saw before using. Pictures should explain it all. Pretty sure I found my problem. I will ad that last time I messed with it made 1 cut. On the 2nd got half way through and it just revved clear up on it’s own....sat there for a couple seconds and then died.....kind of made me think it was sucking air somewhere. Well pretty sure I proved that thought correct.
View attachment 806099View attachment 806100View attachment 806101
The 1st picture shows the intake gasket just hanging out not even sitting close to where it should be. The 2nd picture shows only one screw in the intake which was basically out. Other one is MIA. Last picture I didn’t touch anything other than pull the intake off. That’s how the gasket was sitting.
That will do it

I am surprised it ran at all, but it does not surprise me. I have bought my share of used saws and some from people who are sharp and sometimes they over look some pretty simple things. I got one that was suppose to be ready to go and start cutting. Just one problem. It did not have a fuel filter at all.
I bought a used 3500 once on ebay that had the clutch all welded together.

There is a 4000 on Ebay that is in great condition, but it has the wrong filter cover and what looks like the wrong muffler. The recoil side decal is correct but the clutch side decal has me wondering.
I have a 4000 i would like to sell. Promise its not stolen and im not a scammer im just a regular person promise u bro I'm just new to this site can't figure out how to do it can u point me in the right direction sir

I'm going to let Yama...post his information here and see what happens. I just happened to be up at the time.
For items listed for as for sale, isn't it supposed to be in the Trading post section???

If not what is the purpose of the Trading post section?

Is this thread/section just a private club?

This is a Craftsman 3.7/18, POULAN 3800, thick ring that I have done my version of woods porting to. This saw has very little use and had a rim sprocket set up on it. It also is one that was sold with the auto sharp feature. I will be removing that and making a cover to close the hole it will leave.

New 18" Windsor bar and new archer chain that was packaged with the bar, full chisel. 3/8 x .050

This is the first time I have run it with the Archer chain and this brand spanked new Windsor bar. The Archer chain as most Chinese chains cut a very wide curf, taking more power than the previously run Oregon bar and 72 EXL chain I borrowed off one of my 3700.

With that being said it is running much stronger, it isn't dogging down in the cut at all, it is turning more RPMS and maintaining them. It is pulling out hug chips you can see how big the chips are in the video. This 3800 is being fueled with non ethonal auto gas mixed about 40 to 1

Latest posts

Back