Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me gentlemen how good should the 4000 filtration be? Do you guys get much fine stuff inside? Always finding it inside the carb throat I've tried greasing the filter edge n still no difference. Running a wonderful chain its not like I'm grinding away at it making dust.

All inside the filter after 5 or 6 tanks :(

Always!
When you get into a rotten or punky section of wood, the dust really comes through.

That’s a common issue with sieve filters, the nylon mesh is just a single layer. Same thing happens with the old $tihl stainless steel mesh filters. Poulan should’ve offered a flocked or a foam pre-filter option.

If you know you’re going to be cutting up some nasty wood, you could try to insert a custom cut piece of BF-1 Uni Filter with their Uni Filter oil or the red colored dirt bike PJ1 foam filter spray on it. But, that kinda defeats the high flow/low pressure drop & “easy cleaning“ features of simple mesh filters.

Always!
When you get into a rotten or punky section of wood, the dust really comes through.

That’s a common issue with sieve filters, the nylon mesh is just a single layer. Same thing happens with the old $tihl stainless steel mesh filters. Poulan should’ve offered a flocked or a foam pre-filter option.

If you know you’re going to be cutting up some nasty wood, you could try to insert a custom cut piece of BF-1 Uni Filter with their Uni Filter oil or the red colored dirt bike PJ1 foam filter spray on it. But, that kinda defeats the high flow/low pressure drop & “easy cleaning“ features of simple mesh filters.

Right thanks hotshot was thinking I had a leak somewhere. Both 4000s exactly the same.

So is it really an issue? I see these saws live for many many years.

Or should I be making something up to help it? Cutting lovely green eucalyptus and still getting it I could understand if was yucky rotten wood.

Really love this green monster

Right thanks hotshot was thinking I had a leak somewhere. Both 4000s exactly the same.

So is it really an issue? I see these saws live for many many years.

Or should I be making something up to help it? Cutting lovely green eucalyptus and still getting it I could understand if was yucky rotten wood.

Really love this green monster

I’d surely run it in green wood, just not in dusty & sandy conditions.

I’ll bet that fresh cut eucalyptus wood smells good!

Hey there guys!! Question for everybody. What's the going rate for a 4400 in decent shape that supposedly runs good and comes with a 24" bar and chain.....and and also owners manual. Thanks for any input.

Hey there guys!! Question for everybody. What's the going rate for a 4400 in decent shape that supposedly runs good and comes with a 24" bar and chain.....and and also owners manual. Thanks for any input.

I seen that 4400 in Ohio. That is very top money and make sure you open from of muffler for peek inside. Has wrong fastener on one side of it there. I was thinking 2-3 myself.

I sold big brother a 1 owner 5400 for 4'ish with b+c.

Enjoy the drive this time of year. Going right passed me.

p54xxxx.jpgp54z.jpg

So still looking for a cheap top handle. I see them online but too far of a drive to be worth it 99% of the time. A 2000 finally popped up in Fredericksburg for $40. Not running but looks clean. May offer him less and try and grab it. Gotta get the price right so the wife doesn’t jump down my throat! I’d really like the 2300. Also don’t think I want the extra weight for a countervibe version (2lbs diff!). The one local is a non CV

That would be the one. I guess I never realized you were a fellow neighbor in Ohio.

So did you make the drive?

There is a 4200 for 200 on FB group. But shipping would kill that deal from great white north.

Your about 45mins down 30 from me. If your looking for users and not shelf queens to look at I have 65cc-71cc quad port poulans left and bunch of mag cased 54cc 3.3 335 chrome bore.
Top handles if needed. Just keeping my bought new one 2000. Others of those can go.

Come test cut if you want sometime. Home most days working on saws since retiring and boat season done with.

p41524.jpgp415445505.jpgc33x5zz.jpgc33x5z.jpg

There is a 4200 for 200 on FB group. But shipping would kill that deal from great white north.

Your about 45mins down 30 from me. If your looking for users and not shelf queens to look at I have 65cc-71cc quad port poulans left and bunch of mag cased 54cc 3.3 335 chrome bore.
Top handles if needed. Just keeping my bought new one 2000. Others of those can go.

Come test cut if you want sometime. Home most days working on saws since retiring and boat season done with.

View attachment 863296View attachment 863298View attachment 863299View attachment 863300

What a cool offer. Bet that 415 goes well. Get on the road and go lol

Hope to find one of those 3000ie type saws too need a replacement for the 350

Im not completely restoring the 4200 I have, but I am replacing the bearings and seals.
The piston had a little spot of wear on it just right of the exhaust port so not visible through the port. I sanded it with some fine cloth and it was pretty good. I was glad to tear the whole thing down after I found that.
The original bearings were rusty and started to rachet ,but the double lipped seals looked pretty good, everything is getting replaced with oem stuff though.
Crank has a bird/eagle cast into it?20201024_154153.jpg20201024_154202.jpg20201024_162000.jpg20201024_162021.jpg20201024_162021.jpg
Casting mark?20201024_155631.jpg
Original double lip seal20201024_150045.jpg

A good bit of us "Poulan Lovers" are from OHIO!

Well that's good to know!!! Everybody around me in my area just looks at me funny when I talk about picking up another Poulan saw.

View attachment 863296View attachment 863298View attachment 863299View attachment 863300

Sir I will definitely have to come visit you here sometime after I get finished with harvest. And I'm always interested in bigger Poulan saws and I'm definitely never really looking for show queens. My house sits on 3 acres filled with trees and then I have 300 acres of farm land that has tree lines everywhere. Always cutting trees somewhere lol. When you say down 30 from you I'm assuming you're east of me. I don't make it east in Ohio very often. My plan is to leave here in the morning around 6:00 and be out there to meet the guy around 8:30. I'll check it out and pull the muffler and see how everything looks. I'm thinking I may offer him $250 and see what he says. Hopefully be back here by around 1:00 and can get some corn shelled.

Back