Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So question for all you gurus. When it comes to the Poulan Pro 455/Pioneer P45(at least from what I read its a P45) what other models interchange with those. Say case parts more specifically. If that makes sense.

Well when you own a lot of saws and some of them good size like the Poulan 505 or 475, and the good ole 5200, You need some good size wood to run them in.
So I got this piece of cottonwood the other day. I will cut it, split it, and stack and use it for firewood. Out here you cannot be to particular.

View attachment 883701
View attachment 883702
This one would love to play in that Cottonwood!
Q3OJWj8.jpg

Cool old saw for sure. I like the wagon did you make it.
No, I forget the manufacturer, but they still make them. A friend gave me this one, I have about $500 in it. You can buy a new one for about $800.The frame was black, wheels white, with plywood deck and sides. The floor boards are 6"X1" Oak fence boards, 30-50 years old. I ran them through the planer just enough to get past the gray color. The metal strips are for a 68-72 Chevy pick up with wood bed. I looked it up, the trailers are made by, "Country MFG", google them, they will pop up.

Well guys,I finally got my mitts on a Dayton version of the Poulan 3700.It showed almost 180 psi on the compression gauge.I got it for $82.I'd been looking for a 3400/3700 for quite a while now,but just couldn't land one for less than $100.I looked for the Craftsman 3.4 & 3.7 as well,but I guess folks knew what they really were.The Dayton is an orange Poulan,Lol.I'll get some pics on here when I get it.

I've given a couple 3400s out to the saw needy before, seemed like a good first 1 saw for most.
I'd probably have to know they had some big saw handle time to hand them a 5200 though .
He’s a mechanic by trade, but a wood cutter and familiar with saws. Used his Dads 056 super and 046. When I bought my 84 C3500 I picked it up in downtown Boston, actually in a really bad area. It was a plow/salt truck. Anyway I test drove it clutch was ok (I replaced it) and ran good it had sat in a garage for a few months prior. I fuel it up and get on the mass turnpike for a 75 mile ride home. Halfway there it hesitated, then lost power and died. Pop hood, check battery, looked fine and I had fuel. Called my neighbor who made the trip with a battery. Got it running, corroded alt connection, no power was from a clogged fuel filter. He saved me a huge headache from a tow, state police hassle you name it. Ive helped him a few times since too. But when he had a huge hemlock fall across the driveway in the new house he bought last year, I dropped what I was doing and took the 5200 and my 044. Gave him the 5200.

Well guys,I finally got my mitts on a Dayton version of the Poulan 3700.It showed almost 180 psi on the compression gauge.I got it for $82.I'd been looking for a 3400/3700 for quite a while now,but just couldn't land one for less than $100.I looked for the Craftsman 3.4 & 3.7 as well,but I guess folks knew what they really were.The Dayton is an orange Poulan,Lol.I'll get some pics on here when I get it.
Have never seen a Dayton/Poulan 3700. Would be interested in seeing some pics when you get it. Guess I've never seen a 4000, now that I think of it.

I've given a couple 3400s out to the saw needy before, seemed like a good first 1 saw for most.
I'd probably have to know they had some big saw handle time to hand them a 5200 though .
Growing up in the tree business, and around big saws, a 100CC saw is just a 50CC saw with a longer bar, and heavier. A friend wanted to get into milling, so I told him to come over and we would buck up some firewood with the 660 and 25 inch bar. Then we would stick the 36” on it and put it in the mill. I had some 20” in logs laying on poles, started the saw, bucked a couple pieces, shut the saw off and gave it to him. He started OK, then blipped the trigger. I could see the torque surprised him. He was afraid to rev it up and stick it in the wood. He tried to set the bar on the log then hit the trigger. Instead of spinning, it grabbed and snatched him forward and slammed the saw into the log. I thought he was going to drop it. Gave him the shut it off sign and told him we had to start smaller and work up. He wasn’t new to saws, he’d been cutting his own firewood for years. But the jump from his probably half dull homeowner saw to a sharp 660 was too big of a jump. Now, even if some one SAYS they know saws, I start them out with a small sharp saw and work up. That friend never did get into milling.

Have never seen a Dayton/Poulan 3700. Would be interested in seeing some pics when you get it. Guess I've never seen a 4000, now that I think of it.
Me either. I had a 3400 Dayton, was a strong runner. Best compression I’ve gotten out of that series is 160psi on my thing ring low hour 3.7. Everything else was always between 130 and 150 psi.

Me either. I had a 3400 Dayton, was a strong runner. Best compression I’ve gotten out of that series is 160psi on my thing ring low hour 3.7. Everything else was always between 130 and 150 psi.
Yea. Surprisingly 3400's can run very well at 120. I have one reading 145, though 125-135 is more common.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yea. Surprisingly 3400's can run very well at 120. I have one reading 145, though 125-135 is more common.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That’s usually the case Bob. I think all my 3400s I had the highest was 130psi. But they started and ran fine. My 3700 saws and thin ring 3.7 were all over 150psi, the 3800 saws were the same as the 3400s and the 4000/PP395 were about like the healthy 3700 saws

If I need a 60cc I grab the lighter 3750 380 or 3500 3.7 365. 12.8lbs and under 12lbs

If going to need more and 65cc and not much more weight then 3700 375 4000. I go to the 415 425. Reason for me selling the 375 3800 4000.

Just under 15lbs like 14.5lbs and up 4000 375 etc compared to 15 and half lbs 415 425.

375 with chain brake same as 415 425 in weights.

poulan weights http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain-saw-weights/poulan-pho-weights/
Hey Mr.Johnson I have some 3750s a 3450 and a 3300 if u know any that want to buy one

Back