Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not that I needed it but the price was too good to pass it up so I now have a really nice Poulan 245A! It's too late to start it now but it has a ton of compression and great spark so it'll need the usual fuel lines and carb rebuild. I have plenty of bars for it but the banana bar looks cool.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
You like banana bars? They drive me crazy! Every one I’ve come across have the bottom rails shot and top like new.

Pictures of the 245A I picked up and cleaned.
Replaced the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb.
1a619de3b15f133a2f4307a5b25ef4d3.jpg
29763c5fac35e4ae4b7788e248d31ae3.jpg
de4065ed95b3477fa195ab8f714c81a5.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

So the boy has been buying Poulan saws to learn how to repair and rebuild. He's pretty good at carbs so I'm working on how to troubleshoot other problems now. Well he just bought a 4218 Wild Thing and after him trying 100 times to start the thing I told him crank seals were bad. Sure enough they are roached.
My question is, has anybody tried just removing the rubber seals from the bearings and laying in a bead of black or grey rtv I stead of removing the bearings/seals?

Pictures of the 245A I picked up and cleaned.

Great hardwood bucking saw.

If it’s not just a shelf queen, you ought to pull the handle/top cover & replace the rotten foam body gasket 19006.

The degraded foam seal on the 306/245 series will allow the carb to suck up dirt & debris straight from the carb box.

Acquired a couple of old 69024 gasket kits last year, and those seals were just turned to “sand” in the bottom of the bags.

So the boy has been buying Poulan saws to learn how to repair and rebuild. He's pretty good at carbs so I'm working on how to troubleshoot other problems now. Well he just bought a 4218 Wild Thing and after him trying 100 times to start the thing I told him crank seals were bad. Sure enough they are roached.
My question is, has anybody tried just removing the rubber seals from the bearings and laying in a bead of black or grey rtv I stead of removing the bearings/seals?
I have done a bunch of these saws. I have always replaced the seals. They are not that hard to do and it would be a great learning example of the differences between a clam shell saw and pro saw where you split the case. You do realize that seal has to ride against the crank while it is turning. I do not think that RTV would hold up to that and also standard RTV is not gasoline resistant.

Guys on my chainsaw repair group FB kept telling me to stop passing up the older poulans. Well today I didnt pass. :crazy:

Poulan 245 A. Guy said he just cut with it over weekend.
Started right up.
I don’t do this series of poulans so will be looking for a new home once I peek at it some. :cheers:

p245aa.jpgp245a.jpgp245aaa.jpgp245aaaa.jpgp245aaaaa.jpgp245aaaaaa.jpgp245aaaaaaa.jpg

I have done a bunch of these saws. I have always replaced the seals. They are not that hard to do and it would be a great learning example of the differences between a clam shell saw and pro saw where you split the case. You do realize that seal has to ride against the crank while it is turning. I do not think that RTV would hold up to that and also standard RTV is not gasoline resistant.
I haven't actually looked at the saw yet. The boy said that the black ring around the bearing was ripped so I figured that was all that consisted for a seal. Is there another seal on the bearing? Probably should look at a parts list huh?

Regular rtv isn't gas resistant, but the grey gasket stuff is.

Tanks were super clean in it. Someone must of took decent care of it.

IMO they are worth the $150 for 74cc. Dont think I would pay anymore then that for one though.

View attachment 902615View attachment 902616View attachment 902617
Sure looks well cared for. Looks to be a late points ign model. The recoil on the 306/245 is a little quirky. The mechanism is on the inside of the flywheel between it and the crankcase. I had 3 of them at one point never had an issue. But if that rope is a little worn I’d replace it now. Rather than in the woods. Just more involved that replacing a rope with the pulley on the cover.

Sure looks well cared for. Looks to be a late points ign model. The recoil on the 306/245 is a little quirky. The mechanism is on the inside of the flywheel between it and the crankcase. I had 3 of them at one point never had an issue. But if that rope is a little worn I’d replace it now. Rather than in the woods. Just more involved that replacing a rope with the pulley on the cover.
Going to a collector pretty close to me local.

I only started picking up the older because they wanted me to start picking them up for folks. So I just started grabbing these.

I have no use for them as I dont collect and could feel the vibrations in my hands like my little 2000 when test cutting. Just not my series of saws to drool over IMHO.

Scored another 3400 yesterday.
20210424_101139.jpg
I cut three trees for my grandfather's local little community. They have a park they all collectively own and take care of n time was up for the gums.

I had the green 4000 out cutting and an old boy spotted it and got yarning. He bought his 3400 new and couldn't remember what year so I found a year on it and he was well impressed that he had finally found someone who was into poulans and told me I was to take it home:) wouldn't take no for an answer he wants it to live a good life rather than scrapped by his family when he goes:) I gleefully loaded it in my zook.

I now have two 4000s two 3400s and 1 mess of a 3400 in a box that will probably never live again.

This 1 has a nice 20 inch replaceable tip oregon bar I'll probably throw that on the orange 4000 and put the 16 on this. Seems a little tired on compression and has cut his wood for 30 odd years so probably is down but I have a nice spare top end I might lightly port and chuck on :) 20210424_102931.jpg20210424_100956.jpg20210424_100803.jpg

Excuse the yellow saw its all i have to pull a long bar at the moment

Latest posts

Back