Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the 310 60cc or so? If it is, I'd look for a 3700(61cc) or 4000(64cc). Additionally a 3450 Type 3 and 3750 are 60cc class saws.
Believe the Poulan Pro 375 is also in this class. These are a few and I'm sure others will add their favorites.
Bob

The MS310 is a 59cc saw (I just had to start somewhere) and was wondering if the Poulan's also go up to the 72cc class? If so how is parts availability? Being uniformed I have never seen a big poulan saw in this area. Apparently there is a larger class of these saws?

The MS310 is a 59cc saw (I just had to start somewhere) and was wondering if the Poulan's also go up to the 72cc class? If so how is parts availability? Being uniformed I have never seen a big poulan saw in this area. Apparently there is a larger class of these saws?

Oh heck ya. Take your time, go back up through this thread. You'll see pics and posts of any number of larger old Poulans. The largest I have now is a 245A, 74cc (yes, it can eat some wood...), but a lot of guys here have some larger than that. My current 50-70 plan, that I use for honest for real real world necessary cutting, is a 3400 and the 245A.. No shelf queens around me!

Fast review go here

Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer

Expand the different Poulan companies as it evolved over the years

Parts are what you can scrounge. some stuff is still made and can be found new, other stuff.got to look harder. Same as any other out of manufacture product.

There were also a ton of rebadged Poulans sold by various manufacturers, two common ones are sears craftsman and dayton

The current manufactured largest Poulan has just hit 50 ccs and it is sort of a not well kept secret that even the newer Poulans are quite acceptable saws given normal maintenance and some tweaking and tuning. They got a bad rap from owner misuse and abuse, they ship with too long of a bar, and that's about it. Stick a realistic bar size on them for their CCs, do some due diligence on tuning and the muffler, go cut wood. Because they are much less expensive then the "big guys", and repairs at shops are the same labor rate, they got the rep of being disposable.

Ha! I have only owned one Stihl, and I traded it for an older poulan.

That's my opinion on them.

Poulan 3700,3750,3800,4000,4200,5200,6000,8500

Poulan Pro 365,375,380,385

The ones above are more or less real poulans and there may be a few I missed.

These below are poulan pro's, but most are either pioneer or jonsered saws in yellow. However thay are still good saws.

Poulan Pro 405,415,425,445,455,475,505,525,655

Chain Saw Collectors Corner is a great resource, but researching Poulan saws directly at CSCC is difficult because CSCC has Poulan saws listed in five categories.

Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer

I find it much easier to use Google to look for specific models.

Poulan (Model #) site:acresinternet.com

For example, the following Google search Poulan 3700 site:acresinternet.com

Google

Model Profile: 3700

Of course the Poulan guys here will know the good Poulan models and their respective CCs by heart :rock:.

Thought maybe some of you, especially Mark, might like this old magazine add from 1968. The Poulan 203 and its Power Sharp. :) I scanned it, then cropped it out of a page.

MyCR0024.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Friend of mine has a 3400. What can you tell us about it and where can we find parts?

Good old saw the 3400. Your best bet for parts is gonna be Ebay or chainsawr.com. That or buy another saw for parts.
The 3400, 3700, 4000 parts generally interchange.

:cheers:
Gregg,

I'll second what Gregg said. Lots of parts around and I often pick up a parts saw just for the parts, like others here. Garage is full of parts.
Bob

Friend of mine has a 3400. What can you tell us about it and where can we find parts?

Very nice saws. I have three now, two good runners, third is waiting on me to get new fuel and vent lines. So far for *me* I have only had oiler issues and that stuff is NLA outside of you might luckout and find the oiler diaphragm (if needed), and the quad ring for the manual oiler plunger (if needed) should still be a dealer part they can get. Complete oiler assemblies though I have not found any.

Inside the oilers that had a piece of foam rubber to act as an air vent, I have found they disintegrate and plug stuff up. I have cleaned mine out and just cut new ones from foam scrap. Besides that, rather straightforward and simple saws. Run strong once you got them tuned. The fuel lines and vent line replacement isn't that hard. The fuel line itself is straightfoward, pull a new one through with a wire, pull it out the hole, stick a filter on, drop it back into the tank.

The vent hole has a rubber duckbill and nipple thing on it, (you can scrounge nipples from most any old junk trimmer, along with the duckbills) that pushes in from the inside, and the small couple inch piece of scrap fuel line pushes onto that from the outside, completes the seal. You'll see the two sizes of holes on the fuel tank. The larger on the right, closer to the rear of the saw is the vent, and just tuck the two inch piece down there sorta under the carb, below the kill switch wire, out of the way of the case screw. Anyplace will work as long as it is out of the way. The regular fuel line just goes to the carb on the other side, and you can see a routing space for it on the case there. Easier to put it on with the carb loose, IMO.

Modified Mark has an excellent tutorial with pics on doing that here

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/85259.htm

Clean the carbs, or do a kit if needed, so far I have only needed cleaning. Aw shoot, see if my memory works.. I *think* those are walbro hd-8s? (someone help if that isn't right) something like that, on the carb. Those kits are universal and readily available and fit tons of carbs.

I see no reason at all the 3400s couldn't be a quite good "one saw plan" for general personal firewood. They rev good, pull in the cut hard, can run a 20 easy. They use a D176 bar mount, still out there in a variety of sizes.

Good luck! Stout, fun saws!

Very nice saws. I have three now, two good runners, third is waiting on me to get new fuel and vent lines. So far for *me* I have only had oiler issues and that stuff is NLA outside of you might luckout and find the oiler diaphragm (if needed), and the quad ring for the manual oiler plunger (if needed) should still be a dealer part they can get. Complete oiler assemblies though I have not found any.

Inside the oilers that had a piece of foam rubber to act as an air vent, I have found they disintegrate and plug stuff up. I have cleaned mine out and just cut new ones from foam scrap. Besides that, rather straightforward and simple saws. Run strong once you got them tuned. The fuel lines and vent line replacement isn't that hard. The fuel line itself is straightfoward, pull a new one through with a wire, pull it out the hole, stick a filter on, drop it back into the tank.

The vent hole has a rubber duckbill and nipple thing on it, (you can scrounge nipples from most any old junk trimmer, along with the duckbills) that pushes in from the inside, and the small couple inch piece of scrap fuel line pushes onto that from the outside, completes the seal. You'll see the two sizes of holes on the fuel tank. The larger on the right, closer to the rear of the saw is the vent, and just tuck the two inch piece down there sorta under the carb, below the kill switch wire, out of the way of the case screw. Anyplace will work as long as it is out of the way. The regular fuel line just goes to the carb on the other side, and you can see a routing space for it on the case there. Easier to put it on with the carb loose, IMO.

Modified Mark has an excellent tutorial with pics on doing that here

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/85259.htm

Clean the carbs, or do a kit if needed, so far I have only needed cleaning. Aw shoot, see if my memory works.. I *think* those are walbro hd-8s? (someone help if that isn't right) something like that, on the carb. Those kits are universal and readily available and fit tons of carbs.

I see no reason at all the 3400s couldn't be a quite good "one saw plan" for general personal firewood. They rev good, pull in the cut hard, can run a 20 easy. They use a D176 bar mount, still out there in a variety of sizes.

Good luck! Stout, fun saws!

well put:clap:

Hello I have a poulan chainsaw that I can't identify from checking around on the Internet I am guessing it to be either a3300,3400,or 3500. The only numbers I see on the back handle are Type iii below that is a seriel number 530-037686 and next to that on a WCI sticker is 97-038d00236. Here are some pictures I hope someone can help.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/wileyone27/616fded3.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/wileyone27/4508f4d7.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/wileyone27/33d91f00.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/wileyone27/88705d9e.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/wileyone27/e75590e8.jpg

You have either a 3500 or a 3600 and I'm guessing a 3600. Good 60cc saw.

Thanks alot Mark. Is there much difference between a 3500 and 3600.

No not really. In fact I have not found anything major at all, yours has the same muffler as my Poulan Pro 365 which is actually pretty much the same saw.

The 3600 is probably newer then the 3500 and might have a minor change, like the muffler or something. I never bothered to look at the IPLS that close.

Photo0193.jpg

Photo0146.jpg

The big Poulan's are out there, I have picked up 5 in the last month or so and all for under $160 total. I think for true Poulan's 85cc is about the biggest as the 6000 was made by a different company, at least for the green saws. I'm not sure on the big 6 cube yellow Poulan pro.

No not really. In fact I have not found anything major at all, yours has the same muffler as my Poulan Pro 365 which is actually pretty much the same saw.

The 3600 is probably newer then 1 3500 and might have a minor change, like the muffler or something. I never bothered to look at the IPLS that close.

Thanks again I appreciate the info.

spark aresster...

Well .... I got it. Needs to be cleaned up some. It has a new diaphragm and fuel line. Still a little hard to start and wants to cut out if you suddenly back off the trigger when going full in the cut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

oh and use a new filter ive done that a few times when one looked perfect and new ... then the saw primed easy with a new fuel filter mowers 4 you has great prices in bulk

did yu check the spark aresster screen??? i take mine out now and ive found after running the saw hard in wood its good to retune the saw...; a few times while hot..... those micros can be really picky ... you might check your fuel cap and see if the foam or the duck bill is in it....make sure the carb is down tight.....i also every time i close it up put the carb on full choke and the cover then take it off once its screwed down.... many time early on did that and it was not in the right choke postion this makes it right every time.. put the choke on with the cover off is it pulling the fuel up the line????? when you get them dialed in they start pretty easy......

Last edited:
oh and use a new filter ive done that a few times when one looked perfect and new ... then the saw primed easy with a new fuel filter mowers 4 you has great prices in bulk

did yu check the spark aresster screen??? i take mine out now and ive found after running the saw hard in wood its good to retune the saw...; a few times while hot..... those micros can be really picky ... you might check your fuel cap and see if the foam or the duck bill is in it....make sure the carb is down tight.....i also every time i close it up put the carb on full choke and the cover then take it off once its screwed down.... many time early on did that and it was not in the right choke postion this makes it right every time.. put the choke on with the cover off is it pulling the fuel up the line????? when you get them dialed in they start pretty easy......

I will do that this Saturday to the 2300 CVA. Thanks a bunch for the tips. I am ashamed to admit that I fired it up and put it in some wood to test but never bothered to look at the filter!

[IMG
The big Poulan's are out there, I have picked up 5 in the last month or so and all for under $160 total. I think for true Poulan's 85cc is about the biggest as the 6000 was made by a different company, at least for the green saws. I'm not sure on the big 6 cube yellow Poulan pro.

Poulan 6000 was manufactured by Dolmar and is equivalent to a Dolmar 152, S6000 is Dolmar 153. The "big 6 cube yellow Poulan pro" you speak of is Poulan Pro 655 manufactured by Pioneer.

The "big 6 cube yellow Poulan pro" you speak of is Poulan Pro 655 manufactured by Pioneer.

Well not quite like that.

Pioneer was pretty much folded by 1984. They got rolled into Partner at that time till almost 1988. The Pioneer saws like the big P series saws production was moved from Peterbrough to the Electolux owned EMAB factory in 1984 and were produced there till 1988when Pioneer was officially put to rest.

The Poulan Pro line was started in 1988 and the big Poulan Pro saws like the PP655 were made in the EMAB Huron Park plant where the Pioneer/Partner saws were made for some time. I am under the understanding that the machinery from the EMAB plant was finally moved to Shreveport LA where some final ones were made at the Poulan plant but I cannot confirm that yet.

So yes most 655's were made at the same plant that the Pioneer/Partner saws were made but the was actually no Pioneer company left at that time.

Back