Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK smarty pants:)

attachment.php

You can see the hole in the oil tank.

Here's my fix. First I cleaned the tank out, first with parts cleaning fluid, then with a brake cleaning spray (New Shoe)
I ground the hole smooth and flat, inside and out. I then stuffed the tank with paper towels. I cut a small piece of a plastic bag just slightly larger than the hole, and from the top stuffed it in the hole and smoothed it out. The paper towels held it in place against the top of the oil tank.
I then mixed up some PC-7 and applied it to the hole. I rough formed it, then applied a layer of plastic bag onto to the uncured PC-7 and finished smoothing it out.
Once the epoxy cured I formed and glued on a heat shield made from the bottom of a disposabal foil pan.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Marky!
Here's the other side of the saw, It was missing the adjuster, so I installed the 'toolless' bar components.
Now I know why they were taken off another saw...JUNK. The tentioner will not keep the bar in place so the chain gets loose quickly.
To bad because it's a nice idea for homeowners.
I'm going to fiddle around with it a little and see if I can't get it to stay in place.
Jim

Poulan & McCulloch

I think they are part of the Husqvarna group now, just corporate shell games.
End users have to deal with results.

Not all of McCulloch was sold to Huskavarnalonlux. Some was sold to an outfit in the far East, and yes, both sold saws here under the McCulloch name. Poulans are still assembled here supposedly, maybe Chinese or whoever can't see lime green, but the saws are the same (as far as I know) as the low end Huskys and Jreds?. Without a computer, parts for most things now would be a complete bunch #$(&.

Last edited:
I have recently obtained a Poulan 4200 and a 8500. They are great saws. They will start on the first or second pull every time. None of my newer saws will do that. My Homlite 923 will...thank god it pulls over hard, but It don't make any strange sounds ...

My Poulans make a strange noise when the recoil is retracting, kind of a dry squeaking ratcheting sound. I suspect that they are in need of some lubrication in the recoil assembly. The 4200 is 30 years old and I don't know about the 8500 but since it doesn't have a chain brake I suspect it it is at least 25 years old. They probably need to be lubricated. I just don't know what to use or where to put it. Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

These saws are absolutely the best I have ever used. They start and run better than any new saw I have bought in the last 10 or 15 years. Why Poulan decided to stop making them is incomprehensible. :cheers:

I've lubricated mine with everything from WD-40 to ATF but I'm on the lookout for a tube of graphite powder for future use to see how well that works.

And for the record, Poulan didn't stop making those saws.
Elux did!
They knew Husqvarna didn't have anything to compete with the Poulan countervibes at that time and they wanted Husky to be the "premier" brand.
Elux bought Poulan solely for their;

1) Products in R&D
2) Dealer network
and
3) To keep the Husqvarna name off of the cheaper homeowner saws that they HAD to start selling if they wanted to remain competetive.
A strategy that worked well for a while but there were so many people wanting a cheap Husky they eventually had to break down and build a homeowner saw with the Poulusky engine and an orange case.

Mike

My Poulans make a strange noise when the recoil is retracting, kind of a dry squeaking ratcheting sound. I suspect that they are in need of some lubrication in the recoil assembly. They probably need to be lubricated. I just don't know what to use or where to put it. Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

I make sure everything in that area including recoil cover, spring, pulley, and discs are clean. I take a paper towel with WD-40 sprayed on the spring and slide between the coils to clean both surfaces. After spring is recoiled I spray it with Fluid Film. You could use some other thin lube of choice so that spring doesn't bind on itself when it's being turned under stress. I lube the sides of the disc that contact the spring with white grease. Also use the white grease to lube the shaft for the rewind pulley. So far this seems to quieten everything down.

Last edited:
I make sure everything in that area including recoil cover, spring, pulley, and discs are clean. I take a paper towel with WD-40 sprayed on the spring and slide between the coils to clean both surfaces. After spring is recoiled I spray it with Fluid Film. You could use some other thin lube of choice so that spring doesn't bind on itself when it's being turned under stress. I lube the sides of the disc that contact the spring with white grease. Also use the white grease to lube the shaft for the rewind pulley. So far this seems to quieten everything down.

That procedure sounds like it would work well. I'm glad others have this "sound" in their recoils too..I was begining to think mine had a big problem brewing.:)
The grey one that came on my 5200, and the green one I replaced it with, both make that horrible sound..LOL Its odd that none of my other Poulans make that sound. Must be specific to that large series Poulans. Sounds like a screeching Jake brake on a chainsaw, when the starter recoils.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks, I was to lazy to do any more digging:)
I was hoping it was one of the models with the chrome cylinders...ro did none of the "Craftsman" saws have chrome cylinders ??? Maybe MM can add to this...again:greenchainsaw:

I'm not trying to re-kindle the 'Great Poulan Chrome Cylinder debate' lol

Thanks, I was to lazy to do any more digging:)
I was hoping it was one of the models with the chrome cylinders...ro did none of the "Craftsman" saws have chrome cylinders ??? Maybe MM can add to this...again:greenchainsaw:

I can't seem to keep em straight anymore Jim.

The 2700 and 2800 saws were bare cyls if I remember right so I doubt highly that a Craftsman version would be chrome.

Do yourself a favor and never think of it again , its not a big deal.

Only around here does it seem to matter to all these proffessionals.:ices_rofl:

If its in good condition and not leaned out of run without a air filter, I'm betting you will never get to wear it out.

Back