Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some good luck yesterday, found some parts for the 5200 projects. A complete recoil, 2 air filters, bar plates, some antivibe mounts etc. Still cannot find the fiber disks for the recoils though, going to have to make em out of something.

I also picked up a NOS 4000 air filter cover and knob. Dont know why I did, I only have one 4000 and the cover is great on it. I might put it on my ported 3.7 Craftsman as I need to get out an cut some wood soon and it needs to be finished broken in.

038 MagII yes, a plain 038? Not so sure about that. I wouldnt be afraid of one but then I'm not sure I ever seen a plain one.

I've seen a couple good running plain 038's Mark. Not trying to ruffle any feathers by any means with you or Mike, just stating my opinion.

I've seen a couple good running plain 038's Mark. Not trying to ruffle any feathers by any means with you or Mike, just stating my opinion.

No problem, I'll believe you till I see different myself and I have not yet. LOL

I do know that a muffler modded 3700 is a good wood cutter! I know if I take it and my 262XP to the woods together the 262XP wouldnt put but a few extra pieces of wood in the truck at the end of the day.

I ended up with six 2150's today in a package deal. I think maybe I can make two, maybe three good ones out of the lot.

Question is: Are they worth much effort? For example if I spend $11 for a carb kit at Orschlens will I be upside down?

T.I.A.
Carl.

And: Three tophandle Poulans. :D One is a Craftsman. Will get to those much later.

Funny, there is one more side cover than there are tophandle saws. Maybe Bill will call tomorrow, he is cleaning out the shop.:clap:

Poulan 3400, 3700, 4000 Crank seals

Found some seals that should work. Timken part # 253747. They match up very well and I'll probably use them on the 4000 I just got. Let you know how they fare.
Bob

Well got two more saws free

So sad to say really good neighbour behind us is moving away, he is a concrete guy, does all the fancy stamped concrete and such, so anyway he is cleaning out his garage and he ends up giving me a shop vac, then he mentions he has two saws one a wildthing 18" and a Craftsman 14", one seemed alright, though I did not try to start any of them, but he mentions the wildthing was some kind of seized up, they flooded it, so that is why it won't turn, so he figured just take out the spark plug and it should free it up.

Well I brought them home and tonight took the starter cover off and the flywheel turns real nice, so if you can tell by the last picture I believe a very small but heavy gouge in that cover, hmm that is what is holding it back, so now just have to see about trying to knock it back out and saw should be good to go.
Then I can tinker with the 14" one, it should be alright after a clean up and good fuel.
Like he said, he is not a mechanic, and he knew I knew a bit, so am looking forward to making them all run.
IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

So sad to say really good neighbour behind us is moving away, he is a concrete guy, does all the fancy stamped concrete and such, so anyway he is cleaning out his garage and he ends up giving me a shop vac, then he mentions he has two saws one a wildthing 18" and a Craftsman 14", one seemed alright, though I did not try to start any of them, but he mentions the wildthing was some kind of seized up, they flooded it, so that is why it won't turn, so he figured just take out the spark plug and it should free it up.

Well I brought them home and tonight took the starter cover off and the flywheel turns real nice, so if you can tell by the last picture I believe a very small but heavy gouge in that cover, hmm that is what is holding it back, so now just have to see about trying to knock it back out and saw should be good to go.
Then I can tinker with the 14" one, it should be alright after a clean up and good fuel.
Like he said, he is not a mechanic, and he knew I knew a bit, so am looking forward to making them all run.
IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

Good luck with saws. Lots of guys here like the Wildthing. Esp. when you open up the muffler. I don't have one but find it interesting that they came in varying sizes, I guess depending on production year.
Bob

Come on now John,

You should know by now that it takes a LOT more than saw talk to ruffle my feathers!!!LOL
I like them all!
I still stand by my statement that it will depend more on the user than the saw.
A guy who really knows how to use a saw will take a 3700 and cut circles around me no matter what saw I'm using.

Mike

3400 seals

Well, I found some aftermarket seals from Timken. Bought 6 and have already ruined 2. They don't seem as durable in installation as OEM but it could be me. Tried installing them using a socket as a driving tool but they went in at an angle. Think I need a socket drive size that'll fit up side down over the crankshaft so I can use the top end to seat the seal. Seems like I'll need at least a 3/4 in drive but I'll have to measure. So far wasted $10.00 and I'm not done yet.
Bob

Well, I found some aftermarket seals from Timken. Bought 6 and have already ruined 2. They don't seem as durable in installation as OEM but it could be me. Tried installing them using a socket as a driving tool but they went in at an angle. Think I need a socket drive size that'll fit up side down over the crankshaft so I can use the top end to seat the seal. Seems like I'll need at least a 3/4 in drive but I'll have to measure. So far wasted $10.00 and I'm not done yet.
Bob

I just did the same thing on a saw. I think the solution is a piece of bar stock and a lathe...

Bob

So the seals fit Bob?
If so Ill be looking into 3-4 sets

Latest posts

Back